Markets in everything

by on December 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm in Travel, Web/Tech | Permalink

At $600,000 per week the 60 metre Lürssen superyacht Solemates designed by the great Espen Oeino is one of the world’s most exclusive charter craft. It’s also one of the most cutting edge thanks to a new system that lets guests control various functions via an iPad. Don’t happen to own one? Not a problem – the captain hands each guest their own iPad when they step aboard. Via the device they can control the shipboard entertainment and climate systems, adjust the blinds and lights in their cabins, and even summon a crewmember to bring more cocktails. The sleek yacht, launched in Monaco earlier this year, boasts a top speed of 15.5 knots with a range of 7,000 nautical miles.

There is a bit more, and a photo, here.  For the pointer I thank Chris F. Masse.

songar December 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I want to go to there. I want to spend much cash on that significant thing. I want to regale my grandchildren with tales of the week I ordered cocktails in my cabin with my iPad. I want to be exceptional in an exceptional way. I want to figure out what this means: "The yacht accommodates 12 guests in spacious cabins are located on the lower deck with a fifth placed on the upper deck between the bridge and the upper salon."

mrwiizrd December 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm

"Opulence, I has it"

Careless December 28, 2010 at 5:11 pm

New and exciting ways to use old technology in old ways for lots of money. Ah, Apple fans

Kolohe December 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm

For perspective that's leasing at a rate of over 30 million dollars per year a 200 foot superyacht that typically costs at most about 75 million to build to spec new http://www.yachtboutique.com/BentleyYachts/Yacht_… and would probably run about 2 million or so per year in fuel & operating expenses, crew salary, and dock fees.

Emil December 29, 2010 at 3:59 am

Oops, I seem to have messed up my calculations there… the correct RoIs are of course:
- 10.67% at a 33% "coverage ratio"
- 6.67% at 25%

So my point seems to be even more valid :-)

Hamilton December 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm