Markets in everything the culture that is Swiss

by on December 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm in Economics | Permalink

Earlier this year, in the wake of several studies, including one conducted by the Swiss government, that found that young teenagers had trouble finding suitably sized condoms, a company called Lamprecht AG started selling the Hotshot, a smaller-than-usual condom marketed to 13- to-15-year-olds.

The link is here and it leads you to the latest and 10th annual NYT Year in Ideas, a superb series from the beginning.

1 Someone from the oth December 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

Smart marketing – now you can claim it's for your son.

2 ice hole December 15, 2010 at 11:56 am

Why not Little Squirt?

3 mobile December 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

What is the signaling model of the young man that purchases this product?

4 Erick December 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Wouldn't this take away from the opportunity cost of having sex at such a young age? We claim to tell our kids not to have premarital sex, yet we create condoms to accommodate smaller than average teenage males? I remember an example given in one of my classes where I believe a middle school was having problems with young teenage girls getting pregnant, so the school officials decided to give condoms out to all of the students. A few months later the number of pregnant teenage girls rose dramatically as a result of the distribution of condoms. Thus, I believe the same or similar effect will happen with this product out on the market.

5 Buzz Lightyear Toy December 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm

This is really disappointing to hear. Instead of teaching the right values and self control to our teenagers we tolerate them and give them what they want not want.

6 Jimbino December 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I wish I'd had these when I was young. I made the mistake of buying the "family size" to save money. Love, O Love, O Careless Love.