Markets in everything the culture that is Swiss

by on December 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm in Economics | Permalink

Earlier this year, in the wake of several studies, including one conducted by the Swiss government, that found that young teenagers had trouble finding suitably sized condoms, a company called Lamprecht AG started selling the Hotshot, a smaller-than-usual condom marketed to 13- to-15-year-olds.

The link is here and it leads you to the latest and 10th annual NYT Year in Ideas, a superb series from the beginning.

Someone from the oth December 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

Smart marketing – now you can claim it's for your son.

ice hole December 15, 2010 at 11:56 am

Why not Little Squirt?

mobile December 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

What is the signaling model of the young man that purchases this product?

Erick December 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Wouldn't this take away from the opportunity cost of having sex at such a young age? We claim to tell our kids not to have premarital sex, yet we create condoms to accommodate smaller than average teenage males? I remember an example given in one of my classes where I believe a middle school was having problems with young teenage girls getting pregnant, so the school officials decided to give condoms out to all of the students. A few months later the number of pregnant teenage girls rose dramatically as a result of the distribution of condoms. Thus, I believe the same or similar effect will happen with this product out on the market.

Buzz Lightyear Toy December 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm

This is really disappointing to hear. Instead of teaching the right values and self control to our teenagers we tolerate them and give them what they want not want.

Jimbino December 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I wish I'd had these when I was young. I made the mistake of buying the "family size" to save money. Love, O Love, O Careless Love.