Think about the children

by on December 13, 2010 at 11:25 am in Education, Games | Permalink

In today's world of now, now, now and me, me, me!  It's nice to know that one company wants you to think about the next generation.

CONDOM

Hat tip: Daniel Lippman.

mobile December 13, 2010 at 7:32 am

$228 cheaper than an abortion!

Curt F. December 13, 2010 at 8:01 am

I have read that condoms are something like 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. So really the comparison should be between the price of a minivan on one hand, and the price of the condoms PLUS 1% of the cost of the minivan on the other.

How does that comparison come out?

YourEconProf December 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

$50,000 less than extradition and prosecution by Swedish Authorities.

Adrian December 13, 2010 at 8:31 am

@Cliff: That's not how probability works. Over one use or an entire year, 99% effective is 99% effective. Also, one year wouldn't be a useful metric since it doesn't specify how many uses during that time frame.

@mobile: You beat me to it. It's also a good $24,000 cheaper than one year of HIV medication, assuming the infection is caught early. Pregnancy isn't the only expensive result to not using protection.

Peter December 13, 2010 at 8:33 am

What's the most pointless job in the world? Condom vendor at a World of Warcraft convention.

Tim December 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

Adrian, thanks for putting Cliff in his place so sharply. Unfortunately for you, I'm pretty sure he's right. Those statistics, as I encountered them in school, are usually based on studies of people who use the birth control method in question regularly over the course of a year. The percentage statistics are based on the number of people who become pregnant over the course of a year. That is, if the percentage is 99% (not totally sure that's the right number), then out of 100 condom-using couples studied, 1 will become pregnant over the course of the year. That may not be how probability works, and the studies may not specify how many uses occur during the time frame, but you'd better take that up with the researchers who conducted those studies and not with Cliff.

Leigh Caldwell December 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

@Adrian: yes, that IS how probability works. The probability of something happening in a single event is entirely different from the probability over multiple events.

If a condom were only 99% effective on a single use, an average couple would have more than a 60% chance of getting pregnant while using them for a year (assuming they have sex 90 times, which is at the low end of survey responses). Extrapolate as you wish to single people who are using them during casual sex.

I doubt they would retain much popularity as a contraceptive method. The 99% figure undoubtedly covers a longer period (a year seems likely, as other commenters have said).

Careless December 13, 2010 at 9:36 am

God, I'd have to be going through 16 diapers a day to spend that much

Matt December 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

"I believe in making the world safer for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex"
-Jack Handy

John Papola December 13, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Funny, I thought one of our greatest challenges, given the US entitlements system, was the fact that we have an aging population with a shrinking pool of workers vs. retirees expecting benefits from the ponzi scheme. A serious baby boom which leaves us with millions of additional, productive go-getters 25 years from now seems like a good thing to me.

happyjuggler0 December 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Alex,

Instead of linking to the anti-science site known as The Huffington Post, perhaps you could link to the site that HP got it from?