Assorted links

by on January 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. The most exclusive university in the world?

2. Dating site for sea captains, and the site itself is here (possibly sketchy, one reader tells me).  The captains are here.  Lots of beards, and some strange requests.

3. The bestselling books in France, 2010.

4. Caplan and Wilkinson and the Libertarian challenge.

5. Why grain prices are high for Tunisians.

6. Indie rock and African music.

7. The problem with memoirs.

Christopher M January 30, 2011 at 9:19 am

I would bet quite a bit of money that SeaCaptainDate.com is a fake site. The profiles are too ridiculous, and the front page doesn't really make sense, either. (E.g. the option to be looking for "Men," "Women," or "Sea Captains.") There's some discussion of the related news articles being spoofed here. I'm not sure Time did its homework on this one.

Peter January 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

One of the "sea captain" profiles:

AllHandsOnDick
23 | M | Straight | Single
Silverlake, California

Hey. I'm looking for an chill girl who's down to party on my dad's boat sometime. No drama please.

He may not be an actual sea captain, but he is clever in the choice of a user name.

Careless January 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

I don't care if it's fake, #2 is genius

The Sea Captain January 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Arrrr…. at last, I'll have more than me dog or cabin boy to keep me warm during those cold nights at sea.

Gabriel E January 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

The sea captain site is obviously a joke. A pretty funny one, but a joke nonetheless.

Jacqueline January 30, 2011 at 9:02 pm

#2: I read three pages of profiles out loud to my husband until he laughed so hard that he started coughing and choking. Probably fake, but hilarious!

j r January 31, 2011 at 6:11 am

It's an interesting comment on the rampant credentialism of our times that the author of an article on McDonald's management practices in China feels the need to reference Harvard.

ColdBee January 31, 2011 at 6:15 am

"Caplan and Wilkinson are talking about a "liberaltarian challenge," whatever the heck that is."

'Liberaltarian' is a very popular movement in 'libertarian' space. It portends to represents a merger of big-government/welfare state progressives with free market disciples. In reality it represents how the Left wins it's most important battles (and shows most it's real world strength) in naked social appeal. Progressive and libertarian philosophies would seem to most almost mutually exclusive, sans heroic-level mental gymnastics to twist the two into something compatible.

But of course, socially, if you travel in the world of academics/wonks/elites, etc., being anything other than a liberal is social kryptonite. So, voila…'Liberaltarian'. This is a solid turn of events for former libertarians, because one's social life/experience is much better. It's even better, in actual political terms, for liberals who neutralize/co-opt the best (intellectually) potential dissenting political/economic figures. This is where the Left has my admiration, as it plays (and wins…big) on a simple field that the Right doesn't even venture on. 'Journolist' was a prime example (and of course whatever has taken it's place), but the movement of many libertarians to a quixotic 'Liberaltarian' position is nothing to sneeze at.

Da CAPTAIN January 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

THAT WEBSITE IS LIABLE TO GET ME H-ARRR-D!!!!