Scott Sumner is taking a break from blogging

by on March 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm in Weblogs | Permalink

He writes:

…I am complete burned out, and have been for months.  I’ve blogged an average of eight hours a day, seven days a week, for over two years.  I’ve only kept going in recent months out of a sense of obligation to keep pushing these issues.  But now that lots of other people are saying the exact same thing, it’s time for me to take a break.  So I’ll stop blogging for a few months, unless there is some huge news story like QE3, in which case I’ll add a couple posts.  Or if someone does a hit job on my marshmallow post, I may need to briefly respond.  Otherwise I’m done for now, and will return sometime this summer.

A few points:

1. Read or reread all of his archives.

2. Do not tempt him with mistake-ridden posts on topics such as “South Korean cinematic representations of nominal GDP targeting in the Great Depression.”

3. He will be back (and I’ll let you know when).  In the meantime we will all miss him.  Hail Scott Sumner!

p.s. Boo Hoo.

1 James Oswald March 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I hope he enjoys the break; he certainly deserves it. He’s promised to cut back before, and failed. There are other quasi-monetarists out there to carry the torch and I think he’s done a good enough job laying out his case that almost all macroeconomists should be able to follow it.

2 Britonomist March 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Out of interest, who are other good quasi-monetarist bloggers?

3 James Oswald March 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Nick Rowe from Worthwhile Canadian Initiative
Bill Woolsey from Monetary Freedom, although he does not blog often. His posts are very theoretic, but understandable.
Matt Yglesias is quasi-monetarist and blogs, although I wouldn’t call him a quasi-monetarist blogger.
David Beckworth from Macro and Other Market Musings
Josh Hendrickson, the “Everyday Economist”, http://everydayecon.wordpress.com/
Kantoos (mostly in German,but a few English posts) http://kantooseconomics.com/tag/english/
Marcus Nunes (http://thefaintofheart.wordpress.com/)

Notable non-bloggers:
Lars Svensson
Christina Romer (welcome aboard!)
The good twin of Ben Bernanke

Please add more via replies if I have forgotten anyone!

4 TGGP March 30, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Part of the reason Woolsey does not blog often is that he was elected mayor of his town.

5 Integral March 26, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Nick Rowe, David Beckworth

6 JR March 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Agreed James. Scott routinely says, “I won’t blog for a while” and then he rips out three new entries the next day. Although he may be burned out, I think he actually enjoys it and it gives him (and Bentley) greater visibility across the nation. He’ll probably be back sooner than later but, as a fan, he has left a ton of great content from the past years and it is a treasure trove for new followers.

7 ChinaOverIndia March 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Tyler,

How much time do you devote to MR?

8 Matt March 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Counterpoints:

1) Already done. I don’t feel like I understood macroeconomics at all until I read through his archive (which took a good 4 months of an hour a day), along with Nick Rowe. The two key points I’ve gotten from them are:
a) Interest rates are a really weird way of thinking about the stance of monetary policy
b) In some sense fiscal and monetary policy really do affect the same thing

2) No argument here

3) Hail Scott Sumner!

On a side note, he seems to want to try working for a bank, but he is going about it the wrong way. I’ve already told him that a number of people at my firm have a great deal of respect for his analytical capabilities regarding monetary policy and macro, but he has to understand that if they hire him they are going to need to own him. Most banks have an entire department devoted to economic research, and communicate their findings to the public, but it is a form of advertising. He is not going to be able to keep his blog if he works for a bank. If he does find employment on the Street then (for selfish reasons) I hope to hell he comes to work for us, not our competition…

9 dirk March 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Scott Sumner is my favorite blogger. He combines extreme intelligence with accessiblity, a warm tone, humor, singular passion, varied interests, pragmatic orthodoxy, hasty patience and a single-minded open-mindedness. He has come the closest of any blogger to restoring my faith in humanity.

10 anon March 27, 2011 at 12:57 am

Interesting case study: How much of his readership will it lose and how long will it take for it to come back to pre-sabbatical levels?

11 Andrew March 27, 2011 at 5:47 am

So, he’s writing a book then?

If so, please give me a chapter on this: Does the money supply need to match the intrinsic economy? If so, what is the intrinsic economy? And please don’t say that the intrinsic economy is what the nominal economy was was at the tery tippety-top peak of the last boom.

12 Andrew March 27, 2011 at 5:52 am

(Name it “the two marshmallow eaters’ burden”)

13 Philo March 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Tyler publicized Sumner’s blog soon after he started it; otherwise it would not have been as widely read. Sumner has expressed his gratitude for Tyler’s support. I, too, am grateful to Tyler, without whom I might never have heard about Sumner’s blog, which has been essential reading for me these past two years.

14 Tom March 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I wonder if Scott Sumner wins the prize for whom blogging has done most to elevate their status as an economist?

15 Tom March 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Take 2:

“I wonder if Scott Sumner wins the prize for the person whom blogging has done most to elevate their status as an economist?”

16 AnotherTom March 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’m guessing his readership won’t drop much. If you use an RSS feed, you’ll automatically be notified when he does resume blogging, and Tyler’s announcement (and, I presume, similar announcements by other like-minded bloggers) will catch many other of his readers.

17 Mark A. Sadowski March 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Matt,
My impression was he wanted (needed) more support from his University. If only Bentley realized that 90% of the people who have ever heard of Bentley University know it as the place where Scott Sumner is a professor.

18 wholesale lingerie March 28, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’m pretty sure that if our culture preached that torturing babies was good and not torturing them evil we would still have about the same level of good and evil in society.

19 johnleemk March 28, 2011 at 2:20 am

As fantastic as MR is, probably the best thing it’s ever done for me is introduce me to The Money Illusion. I’d trade all the other econblogs I read, MR included, for Scott Sumner to keep blogging at his breakneck pace, as selfish as it is.

20 Ryan Vann March 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Sumner is the Ric Flair of the blogosphere with his retirements .

“stylin’ and retire’n wooooo!’