Markets in everything

by on July 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm in The Arts | Permalink

Intentionally flawed goods:

Artist Jeremy Hutchison commissioned a series of intentionally incorrect products from factories around the world.

“I asked them to make me one of their products, but to make it with an error,” Hutchison explains. “I specified that this error should render the object dysfunctional. And rather than my choosing the error, I wanted the factory worker who made it to choose what error to make. Whatever this worker chose to do, I would accept and pay for.”

Hutchison received a comb without tines…

Robert Speirs July 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I see. Artwork for critics without good sense and customers with more money than brains. Well, at least the last two are plentiful.

karl July 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

You’re glib enough but I don’t see your point. Are your objections ethical, aesthetic, or economic?

Sid F July 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I fail to see the problem here. Just go to any major American store, but a few things and at least one of them will be flawed.

AlanW July 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm

You guys are no fun at all – the sunglasses are cool and the shovel exhibits a weird kind of genius.

UserGoogol July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Yeah: this is some cool looking stuff. Jeremy Hutchinson may or may not be a pretentious twit, but the works themselves are really neat looking, and that’s kind of a key attribute of art.

jb July 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm

The shovel is vulgar, but in a good way.

dirk July 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I think those objects are really cool and that the idea was brilliant. However, this is the first Markets In Everything that I don’t agree is a market. One seller can make a market but one buyer can’t.

Bob Knaus July 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Really? When I was 15, and in the business of selling vegetables, I would have loved to make a market all on my own. But, alas, I hauled bucket after bucket of rotten tomatoes out to the fencerow to dump. And it was not for lack of trying.

Todd July 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

What recession?

DaveyNC July 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Interesting that, with the possible exception of the walking stick, no one attempted to improve their product.

Some are meant to do as they are told and others are meant to do the telling.

UserGoogol July 2, 2011 at 4:37 am

Huh? If someone wants to create a product which is actually good, they can do that on their own time. Hutchison had a particular request and for them to ignore that request would have just been unprofessional.

Sid the sidious July 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Nun-chuck cane!

Oliver Beatson July 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Wow, and I thought artists who did this sort of thing to products with their own hands were lazy.

Dennis Van Essendelft July 3, 2011 at 3:23 am

Clever and enjoyable. Combs without tines, bits without points, fiberoptic connectors without through holes . . . the list is endless and funny.

Let’s start a new and more interesting game: products received according to “spec” but designed as if to satisfy a request for functional flaws.

My current favorite: the Keurig k-cup.

Depressing commentary on the present state of what passes for “product engineering.”