Assorted links

by on November 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Being and Daddylonglegs (German video), and video of Scott Sumner, and video of the excellent Charles Mann.

2. Cormac McCarthy’s Yelp reviews (is it really him?).

3. The lost decade in pumpkin-throwing.

4. Bionic legs for sale.

5. Why so many female CEOs in Brazil?

6. Interfluidity and also Paul Krugman on stagnationist ideas and negative real rates of return; Krugman gives an Old Keynesian, anti-China spin to the argument.

Chris November 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Of course it’s not McCarthy — the “What” page says that it’s written by a guy named EDW Lynch.

dan1111 November 9, 2011 at 7:01 am

Unless…

russell1200 November 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

I believe this explains it:

dan1111 November 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Have you ever seen EDW Lynch and Cormac McCarthy in the same place at the same time? Never mind that; have you even seen one of them?

Andrew' November 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

“How does a daddy long legs make a life?”

And you thought you were the 99%.

Sanjay November 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Now, I understand your anting to see the pumpkin chunkin’ results as indicative of a great stagnation. But interestingly, last month’s _Smithsonian_ assured me that pumkin _mass_ has taken off and is going up and up, and that scientists believe that we are close to the one-ton pumpkin. So (1) it’s not all that grim, and (2) it might even be less grim than that if they are in fact chunkin’ ever bigger pumpkins.

Eric Falkenstein November 8, 2011 at 2:02 pm

The etymology for ‘daddy long legs’ is simple: ‘daddy’ is a term of endearment, reflecting its harmlessness, and ‘long legs’ is because it has long legs. As to how it ‘makes a life,’ Germans have been pondering this for centuries. The hermeneutical phenomenological approach to the Daddy long legs’ existential analytic of ‘being-there’ clearly shows that while its ‘Dasein’ may not be apparent to us, it can escape the inauthenticity of its parochial environment by throwing itself into the world aware of the inevitability of its own mortality. By changing itself from an ‘ahead-of-itself-Being-already-in-the-world’ to a ‘Being-alongside-entities-encountered-within-the-world,’ it grasps the primordial totality of its being. A vulgar Daddy long legs drifts along towards an alienation in which its ownmost ‘potentiality-for-Being’ is hidden from it. In resoluteness, based on a self-projection of one’s anxiety towards death, the long legs can fully discover to the kind of Being that it is. Unfortunately, that’s as far as we can go.

Iop November 8, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I would like to know, what do they call Daddy Long Legs in Germany?

Douglas Knight November 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Weberknechte

Silas Barta November 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hi, I’m Tyler_Cowen and I wrote an asinine thesis that I’m claiming vindication on whenever people come to a similar conclusion for entirely different reasons. Go me!

Rahul November 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm

tkehler November 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Hi — I’m Silly Brat, a free-loader. I offer nothing of substance, and my mocking skills are mediocre.

Tyler Cowen November 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

As is the recognition of sarcasm…

efp November 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Best sentence I’ve read today: “The sense of entitlement carried by savers in our society would put any welfare queen to shame.”

Silas Barta November 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

That was from the first link in 6), by the way.

And don’t you mean worst sentence? In an economy where everyone else is having to go deep into debt, that should mean higher returns for savers, but *something* is making it so they can’t even get a positive after tax return. Their input isn’t scarce? WTF?

NAME REDACTED November 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Possibility:
The purpose of the a central is to extract rents that would otherwise accrue to savers and transfer it to borrowers.

dan1111 November 9, 2011 at 7:00 am

Dumb sentence. When I deposit money in a bank, I am providing them with a valuable service: the temporary use of my money for lending and investing. It is not a “sense of entitlement” to expect to earn interest in return. Nor am I receiving some sort of free ride: I have to forgo use of that money while they have it.

Ken Rhodes November 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hi, I’m Silly Bart, I don’t play in the game, but I love to stand on the sidelines and go “Thhhbbbt” at the players on the field. Ain’t I handsome?

Silas Barta November 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm

No, you’re Ken_Rhodes. Why is Silly Bart?

kebko November 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

6 – Can’t the life-cycle of baby boomers explain a lot of this? And wouldn’t that suggest that, while we can’t change the situation immediately, it will change itself as they spend down their savings and younger generations increase earnings & consumption over time? Wouldn’t it help discourse about macro-trends in general if the discussion accounted for the fact that demographic bulges currently hover where people are just entering or preparing to leave the workforce?

NAME REDACTED November 8, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I do like the demographic explanation, partially.

Reg November 9, 2011 at 12:53 am

I’m excited for the autotune version. What are you doing daddylonglegs?

AM November 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm

on Brazillian women, I wonder how much it has to do with significantly lower costs of domestic help / child care in BRIC countries vs US? It could be that even the emotional costs of outsourcing eldercare (as discussed in the article) are greatly offset by lower financial costs of domestic help overall.

And of course, the answer to the title question is most likely NO for the average Jane. The article discusses college-educated women having a shot at professional “office” careers. My pure guess is that a much lower percentage of women in BRIC are in this category than in the US. Which probably explains the lower cost of domestic help.