Very sad news, Mark Blaug passes away, 1927-2011

by on November 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

Here is a very nice biography, summary and tribute.  I chatted with Mark many times and always considered him a true scholar and gentleman.  I grew up learning from all of his books and as a kid read his Economic Theory in Retrospect several times (it’s actually the book I learned neoclassical economics from), plus his book on Ricardian Economics and his pamphlet on the Cambridge Capital debates, as well as many many other contributions, including extensive writings on the economics of education and economic method.  He was one of the best informed and wisest economists and I was very sorry to hear of this loss.

Here is Mark on scholar.google.com.  Here is Mark on Google.

For the pointer I thank DG.

J. November 23, 2011 at 3:15 am

I loved his books. Sadly, my passion was shared by very few students of economics.

DarrenMc November 23, 2011 at 7:49 am

The opening of a great essay:

“Modern economics is sick. Economics has increasingly become an intellectual game played for its own sake and not for its practical consequences for understanding the economic world. Economists have converted the subject into a sort of social mathematics in which analytical rigour is everything and practical relevance is nothing. To pick up a copy of The American Economic Review or The Economic Journal these days is to wonder whether one has landed on a strange planet in which tedium is the deliberate objective of professional publication. Economics was once condemned as “the dismal science” but the dismal science of yesterday was a lot less dismal than the soporific scholasticism of
today”

Lee A. Arnold November 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

I love Economic Theory in Retrospect. There is nothing quite like it.

Muhammad Naeem ul Fateh November 24, 2011 at 4:20 am

Mark was a great writer. I am sad.

Muhammad Naeem ul Fateh, PhD

Ramagopal November 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

It was a pity that Mark Blaug was not one of the editors of the first edition of the New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics. If he was that work would have reflected the current state of economics discourse far more accurately and in a more understandable manner