Assorted links

by on December 7, 2011 at 11:58 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. How the sellers of wedding dresses limit arbitrage, and is the Target 2 debate all screwed up?

2. How to reemploy some ZMPers (an epistolary romance), and British royalty adopt ZMP Greek donkeys.

3. No one has a good theory of collateral.

4. Markets in everything, at two different levels, British royalty edition, via Bob Cottrell.

5. Blog with Perry Mehrling and others.

6. What the Khan Academy is really up to, namely measuring when learning occurs or not.

Silas Barta December 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

1) That’s free-riding, not arbitrage, as the article clearly notes.

Silas Barta December 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

In other news, Tyler_Cowen *really* reads everything he claims to have.

Crenellations December 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

No one has a good theory of collateral.

No one has a good theory of gravity either, but we muddle along.

Justin Bassett December 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

gravity is a myth; the earth sucks

Crenellations December 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I have a request (do you take requests?) for a prosaic, but timely, post both because of holiday spending and because of Alex’s Altruism kick: How should a reader direct Amazon purchases among the blogging Amazon affiliates or associates?

Should I work to allocate all my purchases among various blogs or just pump it through my favorite? How do I know what my favorite is? How long I linger (why reward verbosity), the best once-a-week post? The best seasonal blog? The best linking blog?

Maybe, the blog that educates and challenges the most? Daniel Kahneman would say that wastes precious calories, that I should prefer intuitively gratifying sites.) Sextus Empiricus would ask how do I know I’m learning anything?

L’il help?

Floccina December 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

#6 They seem to put a lot of emphasis on getting people to learn stuff that is only useful to 99% of us in school. I will be interested in how that turns out. Are they mistaking signaling for training? If you could magically teach everyone in the country how to factor quadratic equations with facility what would have accomplished (we actually have the equivalent in computers.) considering the research on transfer of knowledge shows very little transfer from one type of task to another. Do you just destroy the value of the signal? Don’t most of us learn to factor quadratic equations to show how smart we are.

CBBB December 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

They’re in the education business, by definition they’re in the business of wasting people’s time.

JWatts December 8, 2011 at 3:20 am

Your emphasis on quadratic equations is misleading, since the topic has fairly limited use. Let me pose a slightly different question:
If you could magically teach everyone in the country how to determine statistical significance with facility what would have accomplished?
In this case, I’d say a great deal. Most people are pretty bad at understanding even the most basics principals of statistics. (I’ll point to the existence of state lotteries and Las Vegas as the most obvious examples).
And honestly they emphasize school topics, because that’s their primary markets. There are plenty of other very interesting lectures as well:
Stock Dilution
Fair Value Accouting
American Call options
Vitamin C and the Limey’s
How Earth’s Tilts causes seasons
FICA Tax
Firestick Farming

And literally hundred’s more. And it’s all Free.
Correlation and Causality
Heart Disease and Heart Attacks

Daniel December 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm

#5…That’s fun, a guy that works with a Koch-funded organization linking to some guys at a Soros-funded organization.

dearieme December 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I liked the donkey article but could find no reference to royalty.

JWatts December 8, 2011 at 3:24 am

From the article:

“Today, they live on an 11,000-acre estate called Angmering Park, owned by Anne Herries, the daughter of a late Duke of Norfolk.”

I think that’s more like British aristocracy than royalty, but I assume that’s where the idea came from.

dearieme December 8, 2011 at 7:02 am

The Norfolks ain’t royal; they are, however, often executed.

Rahul December 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

What’s the difference between aristocracy and royalty?

Silas Barta December 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The Magna Carta.

Rahul December 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

@tomcollins

Weren’t the medieval city states pretty close to a plutocracy?

JWatts December 9, 2011 at 1:41 am

Generally, aristocracy is the entire ruling class of a monarchy while royalty is the extended family of the monarch. So royalty is a subset of the aristocracy.

tomcollins December 9, 2011 at 7:05 am

Except you don’t need a monarchy to have an aristocracy, Examples include medieval Italian city states and the early Dutch republic.