Assorted links

by on January 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Squid wars in South America.

2. Research ethics in China.

3. Are you wasting your time organizing email (pdf)?

4. What is new with the high-risk health care pools?

5. What would happen if you jumped into lava?

Jordan January 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

3. Haven’t read the whole study, but it seems to me that personality type matters a lot. I would suspect that people are strong J’s in the Myer’s Briggs test would be more productive with folders than others.

Craig McGillivary January 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I don’t organize my email at all. I just use google to search for things when I need them. I can’t imagine life without it.

Barkley Rosser January 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

If you jump into lava holding the Ring of Power, there will be a big volcanic eruption and the Dark Lord will be destroyed.

Reg January 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm

You lose a life and have to try Bowser’s castle again.

Bernard Guerrero January 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm

re 1, I’m thinking that Cristina Fern├índez de Kirchner is getting worried about a) the actual rate of inflation or b) a potential Chinese slowdown killing commodities. Of course, b) might help a bit with a), but probably not in a way that would keep the populace happy.

farmer January 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

the falklands is a strange issue. Maggie thought it fit to spend tons of treasure to sail half-way around the world, but sooner or later a british leader won’t…or won’t be able to. In the long run, it’s inevitable they return to the argies, but in the long run, we all might just be dead

Rahul January 15, 2012 at 12:25 am

….or they become independent?

Ronald Brak January 15, 2012 at 6:04 am

Or if they want it, Argentina could just buy it. The economic growth rate in the land of silver outstrips that of the UK. If they keep it up for a decade or two they could make an offer. But that would be a clumsy way to do it as it would be a seller’s market. Instead, Argentina could just invest in the Falklands. If Argentina wants the profits from the Falklands fishing, minerals and sheep they can buy a piece of the action. It’s got to be better than lobbing bombs about the place. Cheaper too.

John Schilling January 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

Suppose, and I do not believe it inevitable, the Falklands are “returned” to Argentina. Does it then become inevitable that they re-return to England, on account of sooner or later an Argentine leader will be unwilling or unable to defend the Argentine claim? Who ultimately winds up with lasting posession of the islands, after how many transfers, and why?

I should point out that “sail half-way around the world” is mostly irrelevant; the marginal cost of having an oceangoing ship sail another few thousand kilometers is small compared to anything else involved in this dispute. Once a destination is far enough to require oceangoing ships to reach, it is in economic terms roughly equidistant from every seaport – and in military terms what matters is who has the more powerful navy, not whose navy is closer.

Adrian Ratnapala January 15, 2012 at 2:38 am

Is suspect you will zip along the surface, held aloft and accelerated along like a bubble of water on a hot frying pan. This answer relates to all of the links.

Ed January 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

I suspect that Argentines made a big deal out of the Falklands precisely because they were poor.

Pam Hollister February 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Absolutely, we J’s want to put mail in folders all labeled, etc.