Book splat (What I’ve been reading)

by on March 1, 2012 at 7:33 am in Books | Permalink

Jean Edward Smith, Eisenhower in War and Peace, very well written, not that much economics.

Alasdair Roberts, America’s First Great Depression: Economic Crisis and Political Disorder After the Panic of 1837, stronger on aftermath than causes.

David Tuckett, Minding the Markets: An Emotional Finance View of Financial Instability, a behavioral/cognitive/neuro interpretation of the actions of four fund managers, as they related to the financial crisis.

Alan Peacock, Anxious to do Good: Learning to be an Economist the Hard Way, memoirs, gentlemanly not juicy.

David Wolman, The End of Money: Counterfeiters, Preachers, Techies, Dreamers — and the Coming Cashless Society, an informed and well-written look at the continuing evolution of money.

In my pile is Michael J. Sandel, What Money Can’t Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets (how many times has this book been written by now?), Kevin A. Clarke and David M. Primo, A Model Discipline: Political Science and the Logic of Representation (philosophy of science), and Robert V. Dodge, Schelling’s Game Theory: How to Make Decisions.

The very good The Coming Prosperity: How Entrepreneurs are Transforming the Global Economy, by my colleague Philip Auerswald, will be out very soon.

1 John Peer March 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

Did you ever get around to reading bagus’ the tragedy of the euro? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts and how his predictions have been playing out with regards to LTRO etc.

2 mofo March 1, 2012 at 8:55 am

Since you brought it up, what do you think of Eisnehower’s economics?

3 Tyler Cowen March 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am an Eisenhower fan…

4 TGGP March 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

How about the interstate highway system? Great example of internal improvements or a mistaken move to a sub-optimal equilibrium?

5 Willitts March 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

We know you got your degree young. Your reading list is enormous.

With full privileges to suppress humility, how are you able to read so many books so fast? Are you like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting or did you take Evelyn Wood courses or what?

I seriously want to know because I am lucky to get through a book in a week, and can seldom devote spare time in any given week to reading a book because of school and work. If there is a way to learn to read better and faster, I’d love to know about it.

6 Deman March 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

If this helps – I came across a blogger recently who posted about one of his new year’s resolutions – reading a book a week – so 52 books/year. I thought it was a great idea because I think I spend too much time doing unfocused (though pleasurable) reading on the internet – an internet version of a couch potato. Good books are a greater distillation of great thinking required to get to a conclusion relative to blogs.

So in line with the blogger’s resolution I decided to keep a count. I realised by the third of week of Jan – I had already read 7 books. I just never realised I already read that many books – though I always knew I read more than the average person.

So how to get through books fast – drop books you don’t find interesting or strenuous to get through. I have a fairly busy job, travel on work and a decent social life. But if you find a book engrossing – it’s hard not to get through it fast. You read it when you are waiting for the boarding to start at the airport, you read it while eating lunch at work, you read it before sleeping and for 10-15 minutes after waking up.

Having a e-reader accelerates it even further – you can jump between different books easily so can read multiple books at the same time depending on your mood. So you still read something else (relatively light) even if you are not in the mood to finish some other dense pondering book you were reading after a long day at work.

7 Herb Levy March 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Maybe I’m in the minority here, Tyler, but I’ve missed the inclusion of fiction books and non-fiction that’s further afield from your professional focus in your recent book lists.

Are you too busy to read outside your field, slowing down, or simply waiting to make a post of books of a different kind?

8 Tyler Cowen March 1, 2012 at 11:21 am

Drying up of local bookstores hurts this a bit but I will try to make up the difference!

9 Cyril Morong March 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm

The book “The Coming Prosperity: How Entrepreneurs are Transforming the Global Economy,” sounds like a book from 1989 called

A Gale of Creative Destruction: The Coming Economic Boom, 1992-2020

by Myron H. Ross

Here is the Amazon info

“This groundbreaking work challenges pessimistic views of the U.S. economy, arguing instead that the U.S. is on the brink of a radical economic and social transformation, primarily caused by technological advance. According to Ross, the American economy, like other market-oriented economies, is subject to long waves, or cycles. In the early 1990s, he asserts, the U.S. economy will experience the beginning of a rising phase of a long wave, with the economy growing for two or three decades. The fundamental underlying cause of the booming economy will be the momentum associated with an unprecedented rate of technological advance; it will be associated with an increase in the standard of living of the average American beyond current expectations. Written in a style accessible to both scholars and educated lay readers, A Gale of Creative Destruction is an important counterweight to the recent spate of books which posit the impending collapse of the U.S. economy. Ross takes a unique approach to the subject by integrating structural change in the American economy with technological advance in an international setting. To build his case, he analyzes the historical long waves the U.S. economy has already seen and examines the technological advances such as superconductivity and biotechnology. He shows that such major innovations have coincided with the rising phase of long waves. He also explores changes in the workforce, the diminution of racial and gender discrimination, the increasing interdependence of the world’s economies, and the tremendous strides being made toward more democratization and more vibrant market-driven economies, arguing that each of these factors will act to help fuel economic growth in the 1990s and beyond. Based on his analysis, Ross concludes that optimism about the economic future is more than warranted and that today’s children will be significantly better off than their parents.”

10 athEIst March 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

stronger on aftermath than causes.
Could have guessed that from the “after” in the title.

11 chat March 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

ı like nice web site

12 araf zamanı izle March 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

ı like nice web site very ood

13 bayan giyim March 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm