Markets in everything there is no great stagnation

by on March 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

You can now get rolls of toilet paper especially printed with the Twitter feed of your choice.

That is from Tim Worstall.

j March 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Let the jokes begin…

Daniel Dostal March 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

The more of these “there is no great stagnation” the further I am convinced of TGS. Is that your intent? There must be real counter-examples and not just the tongue-in-cheek variety.

msgkings March 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

There might be but the effect he’s having is his intent. He’s supporting his thesis, with some snark/humor. I like it.

Some possible real counter-examples might be the new hydrocarbon extraction techniques that have begun really affecting things only in the last few years, or whatever revolutions handheld computers spark.

Mark Thorson March 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm

How about a Siri/Watson hybrid with Google’s database? Answers any question that can be answered from a book or on the net. Think of all the stuff you wouldn’t have to teach people anymore. They would have to know how to ask good questions, but that’s a good thing to learn even without computers.

Andrew' March 30, 2012 at 7:58 am

The point is that technology and economic impact aren’t linear with always-positive slope. In fact, the internet is mostly about disruption of established revenues, so it’s not surprising that it doesn’t show up in economic figures, but that also doesn’t mean that it’s not having a huge impact.

Rahul March 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Is there a chance Twitter might sue them?

Can I, for example, print and sell bootleg copies of FT and NYT so long as I use Toilet Paper to print?

Roy March 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I suspect assorted Kardashians might have a case as well.

Brandon Berg March 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Are these for feeds that you like, or for feeds that you hate?

Norman Pfyster March 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I think you answered your own question.

Andrew' March 30, 2012 at 8:05 am

I’m a 3 square kind of guy, so maybe you could choose one out of 3 to…mark up.

HankP March 30, 2012 at 2:01 am

That a product is offered means nothing, history is littered with failed products. If this product is wildly successful, then you may have the slightest glimmer of a point. But I’m pretty sure trivial and silly products were sold during the Great Depression.

NAME REDACTED March 30, 2012 at 3:25 am

If you want to see actual cool inventions and technology instead of just Tyler’s snark, I suggest
nextbigfuture.com

Its a pretty good blog for that sort of thing.

Andrew' March 30, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thanks for the link.

Also, the snark is just as important. By way of example, I have a science project and while there are many technologies out there, and some might even be useful, the limiting factor is my time spent in the lab using the small fraction of available technology to create something useful to the existing market as a bundled good as simple as feasible and yet no simpler.