Assorted links

by on April 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Will cellphones be able to see through walls, and other barriers too?  Via Chris F. Masse.

2. Update on the elite Grayling humanities school.

3. The Guardian on An Economist Gets Lunch, by Oliver Burkeman, “This column will change your life,” and a lengthy review from Kyle Smith at The New York Post; “Cowen’s special sauce is rationality, which is why this may be the first food book I have ever made it through.”

4. Economies of Scope?

5. The violence of Montreal snow removal, and replicating three years’ worth of articles in psychology journals, and one economist’s guide to politics in China.

zbicyclist April 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Are the 3 articles in #5 supposed to related in some way? They seem to have no more to do with each other than 1,2,3,4 do.

davis April 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

you know it’s a press release when they mention it can see thru walls and plastics without pointing out that most clothing is plastic and if this tech works it will almost certainly be banned.

Cliff April 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yup, just checked my labels… 100% plastic

dead serious April 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

LOL

dearieme April 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Replicating psychological research results: some decades ago a friend of my wife was set to replicate in Scottish schools some results from English schools. She found that the results differed, so her PhD supervisor fired her. After all, the results from the English schools were his own and therefore true.

anonymous... April 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm

You couldn’t buy a car in Montreal on weekends… all car dealerships closed on Saturday and Sunday, not by government regulations but because anyone who stepped out of line received threats. Car dealers wanted to enjoy their free weekends like anyone else, and if the competition was open for business on weekends then they would be compelled to do so too, and who wants that?

For all I know, this might still be the case.

Careless April 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Still true in Illinois, among other places, and for the same reason.

The Original Frank April 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

#4: Except for the engineering, I can do all that stuff myself! :-)

The Original Frank April 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

My wife just informed me that the right side column services would be provided by the other family members, mainly female! True economies of scope!

Jan April 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I just learned more in 5 minutes about the current Chinese political situation and Chinese politics in general than I have in the past few years reading the news. All it took was packaging the info as an illustrated blog post.

sunbomb April 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This was true for me too.