Tabarrok on the Alyona Show (“Debtors’ Prisons”)

by on April 21, 2012 at 7:01 am in Economics, Law, Television | Permalink

I believe it was Brad DeLong who once said that people who can look into the camera and emote as if they are talking to a person will one day rule the world. It’s a very unnatural thing but ironically it makes you look much more natural on television (when you look at the person it looks as if you are not looking the viewer in the eye and worst of all is the shifty-eyed switch between looking at the camera and the person or their image which makes you look untrustworthy). I am getting the knack but still have other tics to work on.

Interview below, here is my original post.

Leslie Katz April 21, 2012 at 7:41 am

You reminded me of something I’ve seen attributed to Groucho Marx.

“The most important thing in Hollywood is sincerity. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made.”

forex April 21, 2012 at 8:29 am

Very cool.

Eric H April 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

Keep hammering this issue, Alex.

David R. Henderson April 21, 2012 at 10:51 am

Very nicely done, Alex. I’m proud of you.

Becky Hargrove April 21, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thank you ever so much.

Saliency April 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

You did great!

Thanks for the post.

Bill April 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Take a bow.

Jack April 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

RussiaToday?

Nick Mann April 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’ve been on film shoots incidental to my job where a person is interviewed via teleprompter by someone in another room. Therefore the interviewee is simultaneously looking at the interviewer and camera. It’s very effective.

Robert Lefebure April 21, 2012 at 5:15 pm

The totally unfathomable tactic is to suspend drivers licenses. Even in a metro area like Orlando, the mass transit system here only reaches 15% of the employers. There is probably nothing more detrimental to the victim’s earning ability (other than, perhaps, breaking their knee caps) and for the state to expect payment after such actions is indefensable and too idiotic to be viewed as not part of some greater corruption. I personnally suspect they get paid by Washington on a per capita basis so the whole event is likely a body part harvesting scheme.

DK April 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

It’s pretty ironic that Putin’s propaganda TV news channel is more interesting and generally more truthful and objective than any of the major American TV outlets.

Good job, Alex. You say that you are pro-deterrent. So, what’s your take on death penalty?

Greg Rehmke April 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm

And of course the viewer’s first thought is “why aren’t the bookcase shelves closer together.” Maybe you expected taller books?

Mike April 22, 2012 at 4:48 am

Interesting that both Tabarrok and Julian Assange have been prominant on the Kremlin’s tv channel in the same week.

Andrew' April 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

Government doing public goods. Good job government.

Andrew' April 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

“it was Brad DeLong who once said that people who can look into the camera and emote as if they are talking to a person will one day rule the world.”

By “one day” he meant when Bill Clnton won, right? Isn’t this just a roundabout way of saying people are stupid?

AFF April 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Good work!

I’m a deputy prosecutor in a rural county where the State Patrol demands $150 for every DUI arrest where a person blows into the BAC machine. It’s to maintain the machine, or something. I prosecute these cases but when I was instructed to start asking for these fees, my response was “Isn’t that their damn job?” Why are we paying them twice to do their job? But this sort of thing was passed into law by the Legislature and it’s my damn job to enforce it.

zbicyclist April 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Odd to see a political conservative appearing on a Russian sponsored channel (RT) with both interviewer and interviewee making complete sense.

Keep at this issue, Alex. It’s an important one.

Doc Merlin April 23, 2012 at 1:30 am

Its weird that Russia Today (which is owned by the Kremlin) is the most relevant (and often capitalist) of the news channels.