Assorted links

by on May 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Elephant plays harmonica for fun (video).

2. “The bull market (heh) can be reduced to one key statistic, lifetime net merit…”, link here.

3. La Stampa interview with me, in Italian, on the eurozone.

4. Hospital appointment scalpers will face consequences (China story of the day, and you are not allowed to burn money in that hospital).

5. Scott Sumner on James Hamilton; I hope Milan allows me (does not allow me?) to return to this topic!  And David Henderson on Paul vs. Paul.

Rahul May 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

#4
The caption says Beijing received a total of 48.5 foreign and domestic tourists this weekend, and a total of 1.796 billion yuan in tourism revenues.

Wow; those must be some really high spending tourists. RIP the partial tourist.

Duke of Qin May 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Mistranslation. The newspaper says 485万, which is 4.85 million.

Chris May 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

So do elephants on harmonicas reproduce Mozart faster than monkeys on typewriters reproduce Shakespeare?

dearieme May 4, 2012 at 7:07 pm

How did you come to learn Italian, Mr Cowen? Love of the opera?

jimi May 5, 2012 at 5:58 am

they can kiss my ass if they think I’ll wait through a 30 second ad to watch an elephant play a harmonica…….

Jack Cavacth May 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

- elephant death ritual

definitely the most fascinating animal

zbicyclist May 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Re #2: It’s a lot simpler the way Mark Zuckerberg did it [per the movie Social Network]– just show pictures of two women side by side, and throw the choices into the Elo rating formula. No messy udder measurements to take.

Seriously, though, this shows the value of big data to answer economically important questions. I don’t see anywhere in there the negative cost to society from the risk due to over-use of antibiotics, but maybe that’s in the follow-up.

Jan May 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm

#5 The “liberty guy” cleverly turning Krugman’s clear smackdown of Ron Paul into a draw, basically because…Krugman was supposed to win and therefore it wasn’t really a fair debate? Sure.

Jack Cavacth May 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I think it was for the reasons he listed.