Markets in everything

by on June 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

After nearly ten years of doing this series, I still find novel and (to me) startling entries, hat tip to @SciencePunk.  Excerpt:

P4304 Sigma Pseudo Corpse Scent Formulation I Canine training aids for the detection of corpses.
For early detection, or below 0 °C
P3929 Sigma Pseudo Corpse Scent Formulation II Canine training aids for the detection of corpses.
For post-putrification detection
PSCI Sigma Pseudo Corpse Scent Corpse Scent Kit Canine training aids for the detection of corpses.
P7184 Sigma Pseudo Corpse Scent drowned victim scent A valuable training aid for water search. It provides a reliable scent source for 30 to 45 minutes, in still or running water, at depths of 1-12 feet.
Canine training aids for the detection of corpses.

Ray Lopez June 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Not that surprising. A company in NJ called “IFF” (Int’l Foods and Flavors) does artificial scents that are placed on fast food to give good taste. In fact, a piece of cardboard can be made into a hamburger, a strawberry cake etc. They even have fake feces smell. Now that I have your attention, dig this: “Eichengreen, B and Bordo, M. “Crises Now and Then: What Lessons from the Last Era of Financial Globalization?”, National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 8716, http://www.nber.org, January 2002: “relative to the pre-1914 era of financial globalization, crises are twice as prevalent today” Is this a sign that fiat money does not work? Fed Reserve created in 1913. No I don’t want to hijack the thread but as the first poster I get “anchor privileges” and get to try and steer the thread my way!

Mark Thorson June 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

That should be International Flavors and Fragrances.

Rahul June 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Apparently they also sell “Sigma Pseudo™ Narcotic Scent Heroin formulation”.

Oh what sweet revenge it’d be to dab some on bags of those irritating fellow fliers…….

quanticle June 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I don’t think it’d be that effective, to be honest. I mean, airport screenings are mainly designed (insofar as they are designed, rather than just showing security theater) to screen out weapons and explosives, not drugs. If that company sold the scent of RDX or C4, on the other hand…

Edward Burke June 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

“Woof! Woof!” (“Well, congratulations, Fido, give me that paw! FINALLY you can distinguish a cadaver from road kill! Here’s your certificate and your chihuahua chewtoy!”) “Woof! Woof! GrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!”

dearieme June 21, 2012 at 5:29 am

A doggy post next to a Korea post? Naughty, naughty.

Ken Rhodes June 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

Novel? Sure. Startling? Hardly.

How else would you train the dogs? Take them out to the scene(s) and train them on the corpses? That approach would be slow and expensive, wouldn’t it?