*Your Sister’s Sister*

by on July 5, 2012 at 1:05 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

I found this film to be a minor masterpiece.  It incorporates Girard, Shakespeare, how uncertainty eases deals, and some interesting and possibly true claims about two vs. three-person bargaining games.  It is a deep and politically incorrect question to ask why the movie does not start with the Coase theorem already working.  I cannot reveal its Straussian propositions about “loser men” without spoiling the plot surprises.

Note: the characters in the film do not seem to consume much information.

1 dearieme July 5, 2012 at 7:51 am

Link errors?

2 Jonathan July 5, 2012 at 10:47 am

Darn! It was down to this movie and “Peace Love and Misunderstanding” and I chose the latter. PL&M is not a minor masterpiece, though the acting is pretty good and the Hudson Valley looks great in it. And there are no Straussian or game-theoretic overtones, although the speed with which people find soulmates in the country does bring to mind a sort of Midsummer Night’s Dream quality.

3 Enrique July 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

I can’t wait to see the movie. My Jamaican wife and I saw “Marley” on Monday (another film Tyler recommended back in April) and we enjoyed it tremendously

4 TallDave July 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Note: the characters in the film do not seem to consume much information.

I had the same problem with Prometheus, where the characters could quote old movies but had apparently never seen a sci-fi horror flick.

*removes helmet*

5 Thor July 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Why were you wearing a helmet?

If I saw Prometheus I might wear a disguise too, come to think of it.

6 JM July 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I also enjoyed Your Sister’s Sister, but I’m not sure what you mean by “[i]t is a deep and politically incorrect question to ask why the movie does not start with the Coase theorem already working.” If the relevant bargain is between Jack and Hannah, wouldn’t human psychology explain quite will why there wasn’t a “bargain” right off the bat?

7 Olaf July 8, 2012 at 4:28 am

I did not understand Tyler’s comments, but I saw the film last night at Munich Filmfest and it is absolutely wonderful and touching!! I loved it.