Bagel head saline injections the culture that is Japan

by on September 29, 2012 at 6:40 am in Philosophy | Permalink

Here’s how it goes down: technicians insert a needle into the forehead and inject about 400 cc of saline to create a forehead-sized blob. (One bagel-ee describes it as feeling like “something’s dripping down [his] head” and a “slight stinging sensation.”) The practitioner then places his or her thumb into the blob to create the indentation.

For those of us who don’t see the appeal in any sort of forehead needles, you can’t help but wonder: why in the world would you want a bagel on in your head? A Japanese artist named Keroppy who pioneered the “modcon” body art explained to Vice back in 2009 that it’s about innovation: “People who like extreme body modification want to find their own way of doing things, and they’re always looking for new ways to do that. The more progressive the scene gets, the more these people have to experiment and go their own way.”

Luckily, the bagel-shaped injections aren’t permanent; the round protusion fades after about sixteen hours as your body absorbs the saline.

Here is more, photos included, hat tip goes to the excellent Daniel Lippman.

Anon. September 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love living in The Future.

Saturos September 29, 2012 at 8:54 am

Where in Japan do you live?

NNM September 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

If a culture prizes innovation that much, surely there can be no Great Stagnation, at least not for much longer.

HSG September 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

Have lived in Japan for 15 years (that past 9 in the Tokyo area. I work in Tokyo.) Wife is Japanese. This is NOT a trend. Have never seen it, don’t know anyone who has seen it or even heard of it, including the university students I teach. Several times a year these kinds of stories get a lot of hits on the Internet, but they rarely reflect an actual trend.

Brandon Berg September 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

This is more the culture that is the body modification community, I’d say. I’m not sure that there’s anything uniquely Japanese about this.

Rahul September 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Isn’t there at least one regulatory body this should run afoul of?

Thor September 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

The International Bagel Society.

Willitts September 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sounds like the Capitol in the Hunger Games.

I wonder what district I live in.

TR W September 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I’m very skeptical this is a trend in Japan. There are many “aren’t we weird” stories that come out of East Asia that are manufactured. I went online to search for pictures and videos of bagel heads in Japan and all I saw were a few pictures of people with bagel heads in DOCTOR’S OFFICES, none of the pictures were of bagel heads doing their regular stuff. Is it the intention of the Japanese people who made this story to start a meme to have people around the world ruin their looks by getting saline injections in their forehead? If that is the case than they are sick.

Ari September 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

As a Tokyo resident I can also confirm that this is not a trend in Japan but a manufactured news story. Tyler I am losing respect for you.

overnight fyoricet October 23, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am totally agree with your thoughts. Keep doing these type of work.