*Conscious Capitalism*

by on December 31, 2012 at 11:48 am in Books, Food and Drink | Permalink

The authors are John Mackey (the John Mackey) and Raj Sisodia and the subtitle is Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business.

Of all the local businesses which I enjoy, the Vienna, VA Whole Foods is my clear favorite.

Hadur December 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I would have bet on you as an H-Mart shopper.

BTW, I’m glad you positively reviewed Kohinoor Dhaba a while back. So many people immediately dismiss it based on its location and appearance. I’m glad you are not THAT kind of foodie!

john personna December 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm

+1 on H-Mart. (I’m not as up-scale as Tyler and revel in Trader Joe’s)

Hadur December 31, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Yes, I’m also surprised that Tyler would pay the premium for organic food.

Emil December 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I guess Tyler is sofisticated enough to recognise the difference between organic food as a luxury item that those well-off can, I they perceive the value of it, choose to buy and organic food as a solution to “food-poverty” that needs to be forced upon us. Contesting the latter does not necessarily mean contesting the former

john personna December 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I know a struggling guy whose every spare penny goes to Whole Foods. I worry that he is as much their demographic as Tyler.

RM December 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

What defines a local business? where it is located? where the HQ are located? Where it sources its produce from? where most of the workers come from? who provided the incentives for location (state? county? city?)? I am surprised that you would describe Whole Foods as a local business.

Alexei Sadeski January 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

In this case, probably where it is located.

Carlos Carmona January 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Alexei, I agreed with you the whole foods local it is where is located. I loved h-mart

Dino Spumoni December 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm

A quibble: THE (late, great) John Mackey was one of Johnny Unitas’s favorite targets as a tight end in the old glory days of the Baltimore Colts.

Jenna December 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

That book is on display at the Vienna Whole Foods!

Claudia December 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This is true of everyone, but you sure are a study of internal inconsistencies. how can you laud grocery shopping with ‘beautiful people’ but pooh pooh eating out with them? Whole Foods is selling an identity to its shoppers, in addition to a product. Personally it’s not one I want, but I can see its appeal around here. Oh and they also use this approach to price discriminate and extract hefty profits from people.

As I read the book description on Amazon, all I could think about was the Miles Kimball’s recent post on Pinker: http://blog.supplysideliberal.com/post/39129321763/steven-pinker-on-how-the-free-market-makes-us-uneasy I do think there are limits to how much markets can appeal to people…putting lipstick on a pig only changes so much.

Rahul2 December 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Maybe the light bulb has turned on here but methinks Tyler is being a wee bit sarcastic. Calling WholeFoods a ‘local business’ has got to be a laugh.

Claudia December 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm

yep, I feel punked as usual here. this is one of those rare days when I wish everything I read online was satire. few are jokes of a funny kind today.

Rahul December 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I like Tyler’s usage. It brings back common sense into the word “local”.

Alexei Sadeski January 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

Seconded!

jan December 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

If it’s a sarcastic joke, I don’t really get it. If he really thinks whole foods is a local business, I also don’t get it. I do like whole foods, but I don’t really see the justification for the prices. My fiancee introduced me to H mart last year and I’ve been tearing through the options ever since.

Dismalist December 31, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Local? What does that even mean?

On Saturdays, I cruise around five stores to pick up stuff for the week that is good and not overpriced. Yes, even the Half Foods in Vienna, for an extraordinarily small number of items, and the cheaper Trader Joe’s, but also only for a small number of items.

But point: The single small ethic store I frequent has lots of imported stuff, obviously; lots of stuff from US producers drawing on farms on Long Island, Kansas, and Maine; and lots of stuff produced in a local bakery, using wheat grown in Canada, and made by immigrants from Latin America.

What, in God’s name is, is local supposed to be about?

Mark Thorson January 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm

John Mackey is a fine one to talk about the good in business. He used a Yahoo stock-market discussion forum to drive down
the price of Wild Oats’ stock just before he bought the
company. He has always played dirty. That’s his idea of “good”. Same as Gordon Gekko. Read about it here: