Development Economics – Final Exam

by on January 17, 2013 at 12:16 am in Economics, Education | Permalink

We have posted the last section of our course on Development Economics to MRU and the final exam is now open. Have fun!

New courses coming soon!

prior_approval January 17, 2013 at 1:04 am

‘To pass and receive a certification awarded on your profile, you must earn an 80% or higher on the exam. The exam is open note, untimed, and can be retaken as many times as needed.’

Ah, the smell of academic rigor in the morning – it smells like accomplishment.

andargie January 17, 2013 at 1:33 am

all thing good but each qu
ation need explanation!

Pete January 17, 2013 at 5:42 am

Great test. But come on, Alex, you could have made the last question harder.. it is, after all, the last question. As it stands, it could be imputed easily.. Why not throw in a decoy “quality rises and price falls”.. to separate out the good from the excellent..

BB January 17, 2013 at 8:35 am

I don’t like Alex or Tyler very much — their tone, their politics, their scholarship. But I have to offer my tremendous thanks for the Development Economics course. I really learned an awful lot, and you both are terrific teachers. My sincerest thanks. I look forward to more of your courses. It’s really wonderful what you’ve done thus far.

Kinch January 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I’m a big fan of online education, and I’m sure the development economics course on MRU is of very high quality. However, I found this exam a bit oddly structured. I’ll admit I have an abiding interest in dev. econ, and something of a background in it, but many of the questions were unreasonably straightforward and… guessable?

I understand that this test is intended more as a forced review of basic concepts, rather than as an evaluation tool. But still – the all of the above option should not the right answer so often. Nor should a good test include oddly trivial questions like the one on coastline length (that is certainly not central to any deep truths about dev econ.).

It’s not clear to me that sufficient thought was put into building this test. A pity – a good test should be a partial reward for spending time on a course.

Holden January 17, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Basic question here: Is MRU available off-line? I’ll be without internet for a few months and wanted to take this course – can I download all the video lectures, at a minimum? Is there a to-go package? “Distance” learning, where distance is computed in availability of internet?

Thanks to any who can answer this! (Alternatively, any other courses you’d recommend? Coursera or similar available offline?

Alex Tabarrok January 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm

You can get the audio on ITunes. We are working on video download. You can do it with a third party software but it’s not built in.

Ben Schenker January 17, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I passed the test but I am not seeing the certificate on my profile. Is there a known bug?

PDF January 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

Any chance to download the certificate as pdf file so as to include it when applying for a spot somewhere?