The Browser Book of Quotations

by on January 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm in Books, Philosophy | Permalink

You will find it here (pdf).  There are numerous good bits, here is one of them:

To admire an artist for his own sake, although certainly a compliment, can also be a way of suggesting that he has no place in the larger scheme of things

Jed Perl

They chose a quotation from me:

Effective political ideas are those that can still do good in half-baked form
Tyler Cowen

I enjoyed every page, recommended.  Here is an iPad link, here is a Kindle link.

1 dearieme January 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

And you are an authority on the half-baked.

2 Ray Lopez January 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

That’s unfair, dear. Here is a good quote (since these comments should be about your favorite quote) “The greatest price of refusing to participate in politics is being governed by your inferiors.”—Plato, The Republic

3 DocMerlin January 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Half of all voters are governed by their inferiors anyway.

4 Andrew' January 31, 2013 at 2:44 am

One must become an authority on the half-baked because they are all half-baked and some do good.

5 dearieme January 31, 2013 at 4:31 am

It was, among other things, an allusion to Mr Cowen’s obsession with tuck.

6 Chris January 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

The Kindle link needs to be fixed (it’s iPad link again).

7 Blake R January 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

The Kindle link goes to the iTunes store.

8 JWatts January 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Apparently, TC is paid by Apple, as well as, the Koch brothers. 😉

9 Anon. January 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Let’s not forget Monsanto, why else would he write about GMOs?

/s

10 Roy January 31, 2013 at 2:52 am

If he worked for Monsanto they would pay him NOT to talk about GMO. I have friends who work in Ag genetics and they really miss the days when nobody outside of industry knew what they did for a living.

11 Anon. January 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Disappointed by the conspicuous lack of Mencken. He has so many excellent tidbits!

“The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught.”

12 John January 30, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Alex is included as well

An incentive is not an objective fact but a subjective interpretation

Alex Tabarrok

although I would have gone with “A bet is a tax on bullshit.”

13 Harold Lloyd January 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of some phony god’s blessing, but because, I am enlightened by my own intelligence

14 John January 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

“We have convictions only if we have studied nothing thoroughly”

Which certainly explains much of what reads on the internet.

15 Matt January 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Nietzsche’s version of this is probably better: “Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.”

16 John January 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Very nice. Maybe it will be added to a vol. 2

17 John January 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm

“The right price for a product is the highest price you can ask for, but with one condition: that your customers remain happy after they buy it”

“You’ve found the market price when buyers complain but still pay”

One of these quotes supports a market order that will survive, the other does not.

18 Ryan January 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I like how they’ve paired some seemingly antagonist quotes together.

I’m surprised some of my quotes did not make the cut, but that’s probably because I’ve never written for the Browser.

I count 2 for Alex and 1 for Tyler.

19 chrisare January 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

these are what pass for wisdom these days?

20 A Berman January 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I found precisely one quotation that was a slam against a particular person. Barbara Bush insulting Sarah Palin. It wasn’t a particularly great quote. It’s presence lowers the integrity of the book.

21 Andrew' January 31, 2013 at 2:45 am

There should have been more, better slams?

22 A Berman January 31, 2013 at 6:55 am

That would have been preferable. Having lots of slams in all directions is fun. Having no slams is simply another direction for a book of quotations to take. Having just one slam– and a political one at that –reeks of bias.

23 Lotta Moberg January 30, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Perhaps my favorite: “Liars add extra irrelevant detail to make their lies seem more believable. Religions do the same” – Robin Hanson