The Browser Book of Quotations

by on January 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm in Books, Philosophy | Permalink

You will find it here (pdf).  There are numerous good bits, here is one of them:

To admire an artist for his own sake, although certainly a compliment, can also be a way of suggesting that he has no place in the larger scheme of things

Jed Perl

They chose a quotation from me:

Effective political ideas are those that can still do good in half-baked form
Tyler Cowen

I enjoyed every page, recommended.  Here is an iPad link, here is a Kindle link.

dearieme January 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

And you are an authority on the half-baked.

Ray Lopez January 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

That’s unfair, dear. Here is a good quote (since these comments should be about your favorite quote) “The greatest price of refusing to participate in politics is being governed by your inferiors.”—Plato, The Republic

DocMerlin January 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Half of all voters are governed by their inferiors anyway.

Andrew' January 31, 2013 at 2:44 am

One must become an authority on the half-baked because they are all half-baked and some do good.

dearieme January 31, 2013 at 4:31 am

It was, among other things, an allusion to Mr Cowen’s obsession with tuck.

Chris January 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

The Kindle link needs to be fixed (it’s iPad link again).

Blake R January 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

The Kindle link goes to the iTunes store.

JWatts January 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Apparently, TC is paid by Apple, as well as, the Koch brothers. ;)

Anon. January 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Let’s not forget Monsanto, why else would he write about GMOs?

/s

Roy January 31, 2013 at 2:52 am

If he worked for Monsanto they would pay him NOT to talk about GMO. I have friends who work in Ag genetics and they really miss the days when nobody outside of industry knew what they did for a living.

Anon. January 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Disappointed by the conspicuous lack of Mencken. He has so many excellent tidbits!

“The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught.”

John January 30, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Alex is included as well

An incentive is not an objective fact but a subjective interpretation

Alex Tabarrok

although I would have gone with “A bet is a tax on bullshit.”

Harold Lloyd January 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of some phony god’s blessing, but because, I am enlightened by my own intelligence

John January 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

“We have convictions only if we have studied nothing thoroughly”

Which certainly explains much of what reads on the internet.

Matt January 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Nietzsche’s version of this is probably better: “Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.”

John January 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Very nice. Maybe it will be added to a vol. 2

John January 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm

“The right price for a product is the highest price you can ask for, but with one condition: that your customers remain happy after they buy it”

“You’ve found the market price when buyers complain but still pay”

One of these quotes supports a market order that will survive, the other does not.

Ryan January 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I like how they’ve paired some seemingly antagonist quotes together.

I’m surprised some of my quotes did not make the cut, but that’s probably because I’ve never written for the Browser.

I count 2 for Alex and 1 for Tyler.

chrisare January 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

these are what pass for wisdom these days?

A Berman January 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I found precisely one quotation that was a slam against a particular person. Barbara Bush insulting Sarah Palin. It wasn’t a particularly great quote. It’s presence lowers the integrity of the book.

Andrew' January 31, 2013 at 2:45 am

There should have been more, better slams?

A Berman January 31, 2013 at 6:55 am

That would have been preferable. Having lots of slams in all directions is fun. Having no slams is simply another direction for a book of quotations to take. Having just one slam– and a political one at that –reeks of bias.

Lotta Moberg January 30, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Perhaps my favorite: “Liars add extra irrelevant detail to make their lies seem more believable. Religions do the same” – Robin Hanson