Arrived in my pile

by on March 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm in Books | Permalink

1. Frank H. Buckley, editor, The American Illness: Essays on the Rule of Law.

2. Charles Wheelan, Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data.

3. Chester E. Finn Jr., Reroute the Preschool Juggernaut.

Jeff March 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Nice cover art on that “Stripping the Dread from the Data” book chief…

brian March 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Economists do it with models….literally.

Orange14 March 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Certainly a first for me as I’ve already finished Wheelan’s book on Statistics before TC! It’s a fun read and certainly for anyone seeking to understand rudimentary statistics, it’s well done. In fact, there are a bunch of economists who could profit from some of the lessons contained in it.

Ray Lopez March 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m waiting for these ‘freakonomics’-type economists to give us an *advanced* book on a topic. The “rudimentary” outlook they profess got us into messes like Black Friday in 1987, the LTCM fiasco of 1998, the Housing Bubble of 2006, just to name a few; ask Benoit Mandelbrot.

Ray Lopez March 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm

@#1 – a book on Law and Economics in the USA and apparently not a single word on patent law. Amazing, given the Solow model predicts technology is the only driver of growth long term. Once again the people can’t seem to understand basic economics, and when the Alex’s of the world tell them stealing inventions and just using them is OK, naturally they believe it. Then they wonder why there’s a stagnation in technology and consequently in GDP per capita.

prior_approval March 19, 2013 at 11:41 pm

‘and when the Alex’s of the world tell them stealing inventions and just using them is OK’

Actually, it is the Stallmans of the world that believe that sharing innovation is the best way to ensure progress – and since we all are using the Internet, which was essentially developed along the model Stallman advocated, maybe part of the problem is the idea that ‘building on’ is now considered ‘stealing.’

Anon. March 20, 2013 at 7:09 am

…surely you jest?

James Oswald March 20, 2013 at 9:19 am

This is not a good signal that any of these books are good. I almost never click on these links because you read far more than I do, so unless the post is “this book is amazing, etc”, I won’t have time to read it. I suppose these articles could be for someone who reads so much that even a book Tyler Cowen consideres worth looking at is grounds for reading, but I don’t know if any such people exist.