Assorted links

by on March 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Cockatoos exhibit self-control in nut-trading games.

2. How to enjoy your iPhone much much more, as taught by the Japanese.  Or try this link here: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/03/15/this-bubble-wrap-iphone-case-will-keep-you-satisfied-365-days-a-year/

3. Free tuition until you get a job.

4. Does delaying marriage hurt the middle class most?

6. The story of a writer, numerous pieces of wisdom therein, recommended.

Cliff March 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Sounds like “middle class” is the new code for “lower class”. Walmart worker?? I get there’s been some stagnation, but still compare today to 30 years ago, and there are many more people in the higher real income levels and less in the lower income levels… so low income can’t be the source of the problem for middle-class people.

joan March 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm

There are not more high income people there are more two income households, which is the unspoken truth about why not getting married hurts the ¨middle class¨

john personna March 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm

#1 – proto-economics runs deep

dan March 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm

iphone link is broken

Mark Thorson March 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Delete the spurious %20 in the link.

anon March 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

5. “Who should we include in future books? Ludwig von Mises, Jude Wanniski, Henry Hazlitt, Frédéric Bastiat, the great folks at the George Mason University Econ Department? Is there someone else on your wish list?”

Hopefully by the time, *Under the Staircase: Tripping with Tyler* comes out my kids will be too old for these books. That said, my daughter has been a big fan of fictionalized history and fairy series, so I could see this “economic adventure series” working out well too.

Urstoff March 16, 2013 at 11:02 pm

A book involving Gerard Debreu is clearly essential.

Josh March 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm

How can something be pressed an almost infinite number of times? One number is not ‘closer’ to infinity than another.

de Broglie March 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm

It is called hyperbole.

Mark Thorson March 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm

It’s called . . . oh, never mind.

Ronald Brak March 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm

1. Cockatoos can be pretty smart. Or deceptive. One found my parents’ fig tree and would come around every morning for a feed, but she kept it a secret from the rest of the cockatoos in her flock. Being able to delay satisfying her desire for figs until she could sneak off unseen meant she kept all the figs to herself.

mulp March 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm

4. Does delaying marriage hurt the middle class most?

Boy, what a mess of a story, but then I’m pretty sure the source “research” is a mess as well.

But I do want to note how fantastic the political shift to the right with Reagan has restored marriage in America over the past three decades to the state that it was in sometime prior to the leftist liberal immoral FDR through LBJ era.

Conservatives clearly know how to correct American social order/disorder.

TMC March 17, 2013 at 8:28 am

Yet it is the conservative families that report greater income, more happiness, longer marriages, ect…

I guess Reagan could lead a horse to water.

David March 16, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Re: 5. Kickstarter project related to Milton Friedman and teaching economics to young kids.

Were I to have children of my own, I would be so thrilled to have them “educated” in economics by a self-selected childrens book author who is “qualified” because she’s a mom and loved to read econ books and watch c-span.

The inclusion of Rand on this list is a dead give-away.

It’s reassuring to know that should I ever need a quick $25K, there are at least 300-odd ditto heads ready to give it to me.

Jeff J March 18, 2013 at 9:51 am

It’s chilling.

Indoctrinating children – it’s worked for Catholics, it’s worked for Muslims… now it can work for YOU!

londenio March 17, 2013 at 5:35 am

Re: Under the Staircase book. I agree with David above. Including Rand makes it look more like propaganda than anything else. Kids could also learn from a book about Marx. Isn’t that the ultimate education? If you disagree with X, you need to understand X.

Re: “middle class”. How is middle class defined these days? I always knew the British and the Americans mean different things by “Middle Class”, but Cliff is right, a Walmart Worker is middle class. Who is lower class? Or is there no lower class any more?

Nancy Lebovitz March 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Birds in general don’t eat the food they’re bringing back to the nest.