Assorted links

by on March 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. The news ecosystem of Myanmar.

2. Impoverished memory for elevator buttons.

3. Hitchhiking America by private plane.

4. Jaron Lanier on data rights.

5. The life of Ruth Rendell.

6. Texas Monthly hires full-time barbecue editor for new “golden age” of Texas barbecue.

Rich Berger March 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

4. I don’t understand what people see in Jaron Lanier. Does he still have those dopey dreadlocks?

Mark Thorson March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

But you’re okay with Ruth Rendell?

Rich Berger March 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Whoa. I took a look at the link and…. I am seized by massive indifference. I can’t muster antipathy towards her.

So Much For Subtlety March 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm

They make her sound like a lesbian gone wrong. I wonder if you need a particular personality to be a great female crime writer. She certainly reminds me of Patricia Cornwell.

DocMerlin March 25, 2013 at 1:04 am

“Although you shouldn’t be indifferent. For perhaps a quarter of a century she dominated crime writing to the point she had to change her name and write books under a pseudonym just to make it look like there was some competition.”
lol.

X March 24, 2013 at 9:09 pm

3. Alternate title: “The value of pussy in bartering markets”

anon March 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

2. Impoverished memory for elevator buttons.

ONR grant demonstrating Huxley was right in “Brave New World”.

agm March 24, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Re: #3

She’s well spoken and very pleasant. The aviation hitchhiking is a cool idea, and she presents it well, especially over a good beer. I’m looking forward to the book.

Owen March 25, 2013 at 6:54 am

I stopped taking #4 seriously after this: “If you have the biggest computer and the biggest data, you can calculate how to target people with a political message, and have almost a guaranteed deterministic level of success. Politics then becomes about who has the biggest computer instead of what the agenda is. The way Obama won the last US election was by having the best computer strategy.”

“Best computer strategy” is maybe reason #13 on the list of why Obama won the election. It comes in behind several other purely campaign-related metrics, such as “best game game” and “least embarrassing comments caught on tape and later leaked to mass media.” Talking to a high school friend who helped run Bucks County, a bellweather country in Pennsylvania, revealed how clueless Romney folks were about the basics of mass organizing, and by contrast how sophisticated the Obama operation was.

The comment is just piece of evidence #4932 on how tech folks overestimate the impact of technology on average people, or, in generalized form, specialists overrate importance of their specialty.

TGGP March 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I also found Lanier a waste of time when he did a diavlog on bloggingheads. Lots of “I’m not anti-tech, I work in tech!” statements, but few substantive points. Like Owen I also think Lanier could stand to read some poli-sci on what factors affect election outcomes.

X, I don’t recall anything related to barter. But maybe you’re the kind who just likes crapping in the comment-section sandbox and any response would be pointless.