*Why Growth Matters*

by on March 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm in Books | Permalink

That is the new book by Jagdish Bhagwati and Arvind Panagariya.  I reviewed the slightly earlier UK/India version briefly and very favorably here, and next month it will be out under this new title in the U.S.  The subtitle is How Economic Growth in India Reduced Poverty and Lessons for Other Developing Countries.  It is no surprise that they did not keep the India title — India’s Tryst with Destiny — for the US market.  Who wants to read about India per se?  Who knows what a tryst is?

Rich Berger March 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Maybe they should have called it “Tryst with Destiny” and issued it with a romance novel type cover.

Urso March 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My first thought was that “India’s tryst with Destiny” sounds like a potboiler romance about 2 lesbian strippers.

Andrew' March 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Lesbian strippers is awfully specific.

Rahul March 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Tits with Destiny?

Jens Fiederer March 13, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Perhaps Urso has a different destiny than you do?

Ashok Rao March 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’ve never met an American not awed by Nehru’s “Tryst with Destiny”. Shame they didn’t keep the title – the American version sounds like one of a million other development economics titles (though, I think it’s pretty good writing in general). “Tryst with Destiny” actually sounds like something memorable.

Rahul March 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

How many have you met?

Ashok Rao March 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I suppose there’s a selection bias in the Americans that have actually heard of Nehru and his Tryst with Destiny. But I also assume that the union between that selection and the audience of Bhagwati and Panagariya is someone similar in appreciation and outlook of India etc.

I lived there quite a while, many. A good handful of which are familiar with Indian history.

Roy March 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I agree with you, but then most development titles are written for an astonishingly narrow viewed and blinkered intellectual class. You certainly wouldn’t want anyone even barely familiar with India to accidentally pick this up.

With the end of the Cold War, Development has replaced International Relations as the masturbation of the philistine pseudo intellectual who “cares.”

brian March 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I think Mark Sanford knows a thing or two about a tryst.

Andrew' March 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The Cat in the Hat knows a thing or two.

Wade March 13, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I would definitely read “India’s Tryst With Destiny” if it were about two lesbian strippers. It would be time better spent than reading about the way that growth is the answer to all problems.
I don’t doubt that growth is an answer to many problems, but like all things, it benefits some, harms others, and stops after a while. If you want to understand the future potential of growth, Google “Galactic-Scale Energy”. There are some worthwhile associated links at Do The Math.

Kaushik March 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Nehru’s “Tryst with destiny” speech (on Indian’s independence in Indian parliament – on midnight Aug 15, 1947) will actually be a familiar reference to the kind of readers who may buy this book India (although, it is a bit of a cliche’ now ..). Agree that it is a phrase that won’t travel well – kind of like how baseball references may not work well in South Asia …