Sentences to ponder

by on April 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm in Law | Permalink

Indeed, for customer-support calls, people with a criminal background actually perform a bit better.

I do not think that result is subject to all of the ideal statistical adjustments, although it is based on some “Big Data” correlations.

The longer story is here, and for the pointer I thank DW.

KR April 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The best sentence in that article is “For some reason, however, [honest people] make less effective salespeople.”

Mike H April 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Or that people become more socially experienced as they age and hence older workers have better skills in dealing with customers than the younger ones. Now assuming criminal records are being kept forever, it is only logical that older workers are more likely than the younger ones to have a record on their files.

JWatts April 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

There’s a lot of interesting tid bit in that article. But my take away is, welcome to the future where we data mine everything and act accordingly. This will drive the markets to become more efficient. However, some people will like this and others will hate it.

anon April 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm

From the comments: “in the US I have heard HR directors, off the record, say “If you get a resume with a photo attached throw it away and ‘you never got it'” because of liability and litigation concerns.” This is interesting since I have always attached a photo to my CV.

AndrewL April 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

amusing that “anon” would write a comment about attaching a photo to all his/her CV’s =P

Andreas Moser April 24, 2013 at 3:54 am

I bet they wouldn’t throw it away if you looked good on the photo. – I don’t understand that “no photo” policy when you can add a link to your website or your LinkedIn profile on your CV. There your photo will show up anyway.

Jenettnay April 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

It seems to me that a job-seeker with a criminal record have to possess other above average traits to get the job. I hope they compared apples to apples.

Peter April 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Moreover, they have an incentive to do well at their jobs, given the trouble they’d have finding other work.

Komori April 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I suspect that serving prison or jail time simply prepares you to endure the typical call-center environment.

Danno755 April 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

When I was a rookie professor a student asked what do you do when your largest customer is Ford and they always pay late yet always take the discount for paying early. I gave my answer. Several years later I had moved to a different university and since they had a contract to teach classes in a prison, periodically I taught classes in the prison. I retold that question and my answer to the class. One of the prisoners said I was wrong because if you did it right they’d pay up every time. Apparently this prisoner would handle accounts payable for his dad’s business. I didn’t ask him how to do it right.

Andrew' April 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

Structure it so that Ford is breaking the law, then when you have a 4000 counts, call up Uncle and have them break some knee-caps.