Aldeburgh notes

by on May 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm in Travels, Uncategorized | Permalink

I long had imagined a perfect English seaside town and it turns out Aldeburgh is it.  Attending a German-Nigerian wedding here makes it all the more so (photos of town are here).

It is more like New Zealand than any other part of England I have visited.

Other than those here for the wedding, there seem to be few non-English people walking around town.  The working class people are fond of discussing the best fish and chips in the area, while one of the (apparently) visiting English women standing next to us in line started lecturing us about “Maggie the Milk Snatcher.”  Even the minister performing the wedding ceremony got in a dig at Thatcher (NB: this is not not not the Vicar of Aldeburgh, who sometimes comments on national affairs, but rather a visiting minister).

In 1908 the town elected the first female mayor in England.  The ships of Sir Francis Drake were built here.  The Benjamin Britten homage scallop-like sculpture structure has been vandalized thirteen times and there is a petition to have it removed.  A long time ago the “North Sea” was called the “German Sea.”

Once you get past London, Oxford, and the like, England is more exotic than most of the places I visit.

The local chocolate caramels go under the brand name of “Seagull Droppings,” with comparable packaging.  (No need to leave this link in the comments.)  You can find them in the Royal Navy store next to the water and the fishmongers.

Steve Sailer May 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Too bad about London:

John Cleese was asked after the 2011 London riots:

He replied: ‘I’m not sure what’s going on in Britain. Or, let me say this – I don’t know what’s going on in London, because London is no longer an English city.

‘That’s how we got the Olympics.

‘They said we were the most cosmopolitan city on Earth. But it doesn’t feel English.

‘I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King’s Road and say, “Where are all the English people?”

‘I mean, I love having different cultures around. But when the parent culture kind of dissipates, you’re left thinking, “Well, what’s going on?”‘

But what did pre-diversity London ever contribute to world culture?

David May 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Jesus, Steve, what is wrong with you? This is getting worrying.

j r May 6, 2013 at 10:55 am

To a man whose only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a Mexican.

DPG May 6, 2013 at 11:06 am

Yeah, the Mexican population in London must be what has Cleese worried.

DPG May 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Likewise for the Front National and Swiss People’s Party. If those Europeans stop being racist against Mexicans, we can end this destructive conflict over the future of the EU and bring order to the galaxy.

FC May 5, 2013 at 11:02 pm

“Even the Minister performing the wedding ceremony got in a dig at Thatcher.”

Civil servants are the same everywhere.

Rob May 6, 2013 at 2:15 am

I’m intrigued by “London, Oxford and the like”. What does this mean? London and Oxford seem to be unlike each other in terms of just about any characteristic I can think of.

Cal May 6, 2013 at 2:26 am

I’m sorry but that ain’t no ‘like New Zealand’… I live there and we have sand on our beaches not pebbles…

Danton May 6, 2013 at 3:30 am

Was everyday like sunday?

John McLennan May 6, 2013 at 4:05 am

Aldeburgh! Pretty, but second to Southwold, the place in Britain with the most right-on, smug and rich “progressives”. The only working class people you will find there are the progressives’ servants. It is the embodiment of absolutely everything you associate with guardianistas and probably an even more ghastly ghetto than Lewes but the same culturally.

dearieme May 6, 2013 at 6:18 am

Keep it up: vile spot, Southwold. On no account should tourists visit it or anywhere else on the Suffolk coast.

Nigel May 6, 2013 at 4:30 am

Tyler, much as I enjoyed reading your blog, there is a comment that you need to correct and do so without delay! To anyone not present at the wedding the implication is that the person making the remark about Margaret Thatcher might well be me as the Vicar of Aldeburgh, which it was not. You say, “Even the Minister performing the wedding ceremony got in a dig at Thatcher”. The minister in question was a visiting Archdeacon from Europe, a friend of the groom, who by my permission was allowed to conduct the wedding although I was also present and took part. I used to work for the BBC and still occasionally broadcast and sometimes am asked to comment at a national level for the Church of England. It is important that you now issue a correction to your blog to make quite clear that you do not impute the remark to me as Vicar of Aldeburgh. I realise that it is not your intention to cause “reputational damage” but that is what you risk by not correcting the remark. Incidentally, if you or others would like a more accurate picture of Aldeburgh you might like to look at our church website, http://www.aldeburghparishchurch.org.uk Please let me know that you have made the correction. I shall be grateful.

Michael G Heller May 6, 2013 at 5:32 am

Nigel, it is a very long time since I heard a Church of England official make an announcement that might in any way be construed as a defence of the policies of Margaret Thatcher. Go on you mate for speaking out.

Michael G Heller May 6, 2013 at 5:35 am

Sorry, that was meant to be ‘Good’ on you mate (I’m in Australia currently). Not ‘God’ on you, heaven forbid!

affenkopf May 6, 2013 at 5:51 am

A very long time? Really?

Michael G Heller May 6, 2013 at 6:20 am

You, and the Bishop, have been cherry picking. In any case, the comment about Hayek is non-commital and could be interpreted either way. I’m telling you, the Church of England is anti-capitalist to the core. What I’m more concerned about is who on earth was responsible for allowing all these megastar foreigners to intrude on the innocent hamlet of Aldeburgh?

Hoover May 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

Visiting archdeacons, coming here and stealing our jobs.

nigel May 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

“It is important that you now issue a correction to your blog to make quite clear that you do not impute the remark to me as Vicar of Aldeburgh….”

If you read what was actually written, he doesn’t.
And in any event, is clarifying your position on Mrs. Thatcher really so important compared to (say) spreading the Gospel*.

Are you really a Church of England vicar ? The ones of my acquaintance have appeared considerably less uptight.

(*the Christian one)

Hoover May 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

It doesn’t matter. The whole idea of a CofE vicar of a small town in Suffolk appearing on the blog of a GMU Professor of Economics to complain that his views on Mrs Thatcher have been misrepresented has just about blown my mind.

Ian Grove-Stephensen May 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

I am impressed that you found a plurality of working class people in Aldeburgh to discuss fish’n'chips with. The average house price there is >GBP400k ( http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/Aldeburgh.html ). Interesting feedback loop between house prices and planning regulations that keep the place artificially a ‘perfect English seaside town’.

dearieme May 6, 2013 at 6:23 am

Oh I don’t know. On a website this weekend I came across a chap speaking of himself as “the little guy” whose income was 72000GBP p.a.

Mind you, that idiocy is consistent with my belief that Americanisms are best left to Americans, who are so much likelier to use them with accuracy.

DK May 6, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Good to see Brits still having some basic common sense.

Nigel May 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for your graciousness in making the clarification. By the way, I enjoyed seeing the pictures of Aldeburgh although one of them looks as though it might be from Dunwich!