*My Struggle: A Man in Love: Volume Two*, by Karl Knausgaard

by on May 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm in Books | Permalink

This is every bit as good as volume one.  I now also know why he titled the whole thing what is in essence *Mein Kampf* (no, the author is not a Nazi, but rather he is rather savagely poking fun at modernity and the modern notion of struggle).

You can buy it here.  It is better, by the way, to read volume one first, but if you picked this up blind, without having read the first part, you would do just fine with it.

Think about it: Carlsen, Knausgaard, and the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund.  This has been some century (so far) for The Land of the Midnight Sun.

FredR May 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I read both volumes because of previous posts here and they’re fantastic, beautiful books.

Jordan Peacock May 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Just finished Vol. I last night (picked it up based on your and Adam Kotsko’s recommendations), and loved it. Fantastic interview with Knausgaard here: http://www.cbc.ca/writersandcompany/episode/2013/02/03/karl-ove-knausgaard-interview/

William May 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Was the first volume ever printed in hardcover? It’s curious that it seems to have only come out in paperback, while Vol. 2 is in hardcover.

Jan May 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Swedes do the dirty grunt work to service the rich “middle class” of Norway. Who’s little brother now?

uffy May 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I think both peoples are doing just fine, but yes the relative tides have turned.

jb May 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Volume 1 is for sale on amazon for a reasonable $154.02 (not bad for a 250 page softback!)

Walter May 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I can’t figure out the publishing relationships with this book. The first volume is for sale at Amazon in an edition by Harvill Secker in hardcover, but the reviewed edition is from Archipeligo (paperback) as well as volume two (hardcover.) Now I see that Farrar, Straus and Giroux will also be publishing volume one in paperback at the end of the month. 3 different publishers?

stefanoch May 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm