*How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia: A Novel*

by on July 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm in Books, Uncategorized | Permalink

For a while I resisted reading this novel because I assumed it was a clever title followed by pedestrian content.  But it is actually an engaging book centered around the topic of…how to get filthy rich in rising Asia.  It is also a nice parody of self-help books.  I never considered putting it down.

Furthermore it is a landmark in the integration of economics and fiction, in this case development economics.  It’s more individual-centric than the “economics novels” of Russ Roberts.  You can think of this as a fictional economics biography with the quality of a book you would wish to read for its own sake.

The author is Mohsin Hamid and you can order the book here.

angus July 29, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Yes, read this a while back and agree. It’s both very good and very entertaining.

Bill July 29, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This site also does a good job in marrying economics and fiction.

TMC July 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm

And you’re always ready to pitch in with regards to that, Bill.

Enrique July 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Awesome …. And just in time for my summer vacation

spandrell July 30, 2013 at 6:39 am

+ 1

I lol’ed

RM July 30, 2013 at 6:55 am
Herb Levy July 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I know a lot of fiction writers who would kill to have someone take their book as seriously as this Amazon reviewer does.

I liked How to Get Filthy, but I liked Moshin Hamid’s previous book, Reluctant Fundamentalist even better.

William McGreevey July 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

I read sample and liked it. But as penny-pincher I have not bought for my Kindle; thanks to TCowen, now I will buy and read. Tell your friends at Amazon.com.

Sean July 31, 2013 at 6:26 am

I worried that telling the whole story in the second-person (“you are walking…”) would feel gimmicky after a while, but it didn’t for me — I gulped the book down in a few evenings.

desihorn August 5, 2013 at 9:56 am

Got it from the local library and loved it. Thank You for the recommendation