Vikram Seth was once a graduate student in economics at Stanford

by on July 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm in Books, Economics | Permalink

That was in the heyday of the game theory years at that school.  Then he became a famous author.  And now:

But an author like Seth who commands million dollar advances and who took eight years to write the voluminous A Suitable Boy, works on his own terms. He does not share his manuscripts with anyone until he is ready and will not be bullied by publishers, having once said, not entirely in jest, it was his job to get the money out of publishers and it was the publishers’ job to get the book out of him.

Penguin Random House has in turned asked for its $1.7 million advance back, as they are still awaiting his delivery of a sequel A Suitable Girl.  The story is here, and for the pointer I thank Yogesh.  Seth never finished his doctorate at Stanford but A Suitable Boy is one of my favorite modern novels.

dirk July 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

What are your other favorite modern novels?

Asher July 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm

A Suitable Boy is my favorite novel period.

Sunset Shazz July 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I love Indian English; the fact that a popular press article will use the word “demarche”, and expect its readers to comprehend, is wonderful.

prasad July 10, 2013 at 7:07 am

I’d be one of those English newspaper reading Indians with demarche comfortably lodged in my passive vocabulary, but before visiting the US I’d have been somewhat hazy on the meaning of ‘egregious.’ IOW it goes both ways – it’s not like the relevant facts about which words are obscure are all culture independent. Lots of words have very different usage frequencies in different countries.

FC July 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I am disgusted at the white privilege exhibited here.

Andrew' July 10, 2013 at 6:29 am

This is a black on white crime.

dan in philly July 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Has game theory fallen out of favor?

wiki July 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Pure theory has fallen out of favor.

RGV July 9, 2013 at 6:21 pm

*A suitable Boy* is my favorite soap opera.

Peter July 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Vikram Seth also wrote the excellent verse novel “The Golden Gate” which should be more widely read, I think.

JosieB July 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Evan July 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

What is the relevance of his PhD status to your enjoyment of his book?

Temecula Workers Compensation Attorney July 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote
the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message
home a bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog.
A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

Humberto July 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please send me an e-mail if interested. Thanks!

bcg treatment for bladder cancer July 12, 2013 at 5:35 am

Nicely put, Many thanks.

Sung July 31, 2013 at 7:21 am

I read this post completely on the topic of the comparison of latest and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.