Japan markets in everything

by on October 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm in Food and Drink | Permalink

While you’re probably aware of Tokyo’s cat cafes that let visitors cuddle up with a kitty while sipping some coffee, you’re unlikely to have heard of owl cafes, the latest craze to take hold in the Japanese capitol. Known locally as a “fukurou cafe,” some of the establishments offer owl-themed food and drink, and some even let you pet the owls in residence.

Some of the stores that garnered online attention late last year include Fukurou no Mise (“Owl Shop”) and Tori no Iru Cafe (“The Cafe with Birds”). Since then, more of the owl cafes have opened around Tokyo and Osaka including Fukurou Sabou (“Owl Teahouse”), Owl Family, and Crew.

There are photos at the link, hat tip goes to Ian Leslie.

Rahul October 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

In the context of Japan-news, I’ve come to interpret “the latest craze” as probably meaning four weird places in the whole damn nation.

Alexei Sadeski October 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Show me four Owl Bars in the whole darn US.

Z October 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Alexei Sadeski October 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Smart aleck :)

Ray Lopez October 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hello kitty? I don’t think so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis – be afraid, be very afraid. Ever wonder why the world is so eff’d up? Blame it on kitty (through no fault of its own).

Wikipedia:
“Up to a third of the world’s human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection … The parasite can cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and neurological diseases, and can affect the heart, liver, inner ears, and eyes (chorioretinitis).[citation needed] Recent research has also linked toxoplasmosis with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and schizophrenia.[7] Numerous studies found a positive correlation between latent toxoplasmosis and suicidal behavior in humans.[8][9][10]”

The evolution of this parasite is as follows: mouse (original host) to cat to cat feces to mouse. Humans get it when they accidentally touch cat feces residue. And when in the mouse, the parasite causes the mouse to engage in risky behavior, so it can be eaten by the cat and renew the cycle.

And you thought dogs were nasty? They are, but they don’t carry this parasite. That said, I’m a cat lover myself–I just am careful to wash my hands thoroughly after petting them, especially the stray cats found in Third World countries.

Joe October 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Accidentally?

Sigivald October 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Plainly they should just call it “Hooters”.

msgkings October 30, 2013 at 6:08 pm

This comment is so full of win. LOL!

JRPtwo October 30, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Yet another aha moment on MR. I now understand why a friend who’s lived in Japan recently posted a picture of himself with an owl on his shoulder.

Z October 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I guess that Japanese guy who was screaming “fukurou” at me on the Capital Beltway meant something entirely different than I thought at the time.

Robert Ayers October 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

No one has mentioned “The Owl and the Pussycat” yet??

Doug October 30, 2013 at 11:50 pm

What is going on with the formatting?