Harford Strikes Back

by on January 21, 2014 at 7:28 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

Tim Harford is speaking about his new book, The Undercover Economist Strikes Back, at Cato at noon on Thursday Jan. 23. I will be commenting. More info and to register here.

If you can’t make it to the Cato Institute, you can watch this event live online at www.cato.org/live.

Here is Cato’s announcement.

In his new book, Tim Harford attempts to demystify macroeconomics in the same way his earlier bestseller, The Undercover Economist, demystified microeconomics. Using his characteristic conversational style, Harford will discuss abstract macroeconomic ideas, explaining the most common models of recessions and the difficulty of discriminating between them on empirical grounds. For example, was the crisis of 2008 driven by supply- or demand-side factors? And why do failures of the financial sector seem to have such severe economic consequences? He will not shy away from other topics, including income inequality, or the growing interest in alternative measures of economic well-being, such as self-reported happiness. Please join us for a discussion of what macroeconomists believe about the economy and of why those beliefs often seem to lead to bad public policy.

Cloudyip January 21, 2014 at 7:32 am

really wonder why it comes out at US this late~

Rahul January 21, 2014 at 11:52 am

Price discrimination? Paperback ed. sells for $16 versus £14. Sounds like close to 50% markup. Same on Hardback pricing. Release both US & UK editions at once and maybe there’s arbitrage?

Cloudyip January 22, 2014 at 5:42 am

So… price elasticity for Tim’s book is different in the two countries?

Dwaine Ingarfield January 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

I really enjoy Harford’s writing. I look forward to his new book.
Dwaine Ingarfield

Matt Harmon January 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

I second Dwaine’s comment. I snagged a copy last year through Amazon.co.uk. Harford is also on the BBC4 program (or “programme”) “More or Less” which deconstructs statistics in the media. It is a must listen if you enjoy his writing. Thanks for the link to this Cato talk.

Steve January 23, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I’m not getting the whole Harford thing. I didn’t like the last book, for some reason thought this one would be better given all the accolades but now I am reading it and it’s not. Just rehashing stories that any semiregular economic blogs follower heard over and over in the past few years. Really doesn’t add anything.