*The Curmudgeon’s Guide to Getting Ahead*

by on March 12, 2014 at 10:45 am in Books, Philosophy | Permalink

That is the new forthcoming Charles Murray book and the subtitle is Dos and Don’ts of Right Behavior, Tough Thinking, Clear Writing, and Living a Good Life.

Murray by the way just published a review of Average is Over in the latest Claremont Review of Books which I enjoyed very much.  It is not yet on-line but cited here.

For the pointer I thank Alex.

Kabal March 12, 2014 at 11:18 am

Wow, just wow. I can’t believe Tyler is linking to known crime-thinker Charles Murray.

dufu March 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

He does that from time to time. I’m fairly sure Roissy became known outside PUA circles in part because Tyler linked him at one point (He did right?). And he mentions Sailer by name from time to time.

Someone from the other side March 12, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I seem to remember he refused to link but made it easy enough to find Roissy (back when he still went by that name). I definitely found him through that episode (though I was familiar with the PUA stuff way before that)

Finch March 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Like dufu said, this isn’t unusual at all. Theories abound as to his motivations, but you can understand why he wouldn’t want to talk about them.

dufu March 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

And occasionally he likes to imply that he’s some kind of Straussian. I’m sure it made his day the first time Sailer called him Cheap Chalupas.

prior_approval March 12, 2014 at 11:20 am

Hell, I thought he was still working on his counter-insurgency plans, after having achieved his goal of mass jailing in the U.S.

Of course, his work in another this area has been well rewarded – ‘“a huge number of well-meaning whites fear that they are closet racists, and this book tells them they are not. It’s going to make them feel better about things they already think but do not know how to say.”’ – Losing Ground book proposal.

So Much for Subtlety March 12, 2014 at 7:42 pm

So P_A, you think that working to keep genocide on the Cambodia side of the Thai-Cambodian border was a bad thing do you? Can you please explain to us all how you can look at the fighting in Indochina and decide the good guys were the Khmer Rouge?

And what counter-insurgency plans?

The problem of relying on on-line Trots is you end up looking like a fool. If you are quoting people who think that Murray was evil despite endorsements from everyone to the right of, and including, Bill Clinton, it is not Murray that is the extremist.

Myself, I would think Charles Murray is one of the ten greatest intellectuals presently working in the US.

SlappyDuck March 13, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Mentally ill as always PA?

dearieme March 12, 2014 at 11:42 am

But people don’t get ahead by right behaviour, tough thinking or clear writing. I take it that the title is sarcastic.

Donald Pretari March 12, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I’ve got One Rule for Curmudgeons who want to get…ahead…Own Your Own Business.

john personna March 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Good advice for not only the curmudgeon, but also the hostile, volatile, and those with other forms of low self-control.

TMC March 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm

John, all those traits will assure you will not own it for long.

john personna March 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

What it came from was my experience working for large companies (thousands of employees) down to smallish (60). I had non-crazy management for the most part. But my friend who worked the lower range (6-12) had some crazy stories to tell. Fired because the owner’s poodle (brought to office) didn’t like him.

TMC March 12, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Since it’s a poodle, I’m going to side with your friend.
A Lab …

Rich P March 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Doctors hate him! Read on for this one crazy trick!

Donald Pretari March 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm

The title is a little like “The Poxed Man’s Guide to Getting a Date.”

JoeDog March 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I can’t say I share Cowen’s enthusiasm for Charles Murray….

Matt March 12, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Does he suggest writing a poorly researched book arguing for white supremacy and then cashing in the sweet, sweet wing-nut welfare for the rest of your life?

msgkings March 12, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Projected reply by Z, to save her time:

“Your liberal idiot cult got a billion people killed…CML = gas chambers…moonbats all around…the hive….the state…so many moonbats…”

You’re welcome.

albert magnus March 12, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I don’t think Charles Murray would know whether that was true or not because he has never written a poorly researched book or advocated white supremecy.

Ali Choudhury March 12, 2014 at 4:21 pm

That comes right after he suggests being an internet troll is a productive use of time.

Mike Steinberg March 15, 2014 at 1:20 am

@ Matt,

I would suggest that you read the book before making comments! The Bell Curve is a very well researched book and if you follow psychometric research, you’ll find 20 years on it holds up pretty well.

I’d recommend this earlier review from Christopher Chabris.

Steve Sailer March 12, 2014 at 7:14 pm

For a long time, I’ve been pointing out that Malcolm Gladwell makes far more money lecturing at corporate events than does Charles Murray, even though Malcolm’s a little obtuse.

It will be interesting to see if the zeitgeist has shifted enough (e.g., Gladwell is going out of fashion — even President Obama bought David Epstein’s book attacking Gladwellism “The Sports Gene”) for Murray to cash in on the Airport Book market.

Murray’s last book “Coming Apart” was treated with respect by most reviewers, while his extraordinary 2003 book “Human Accomplishment” was largely ignored as punishment for “The Bell Curve” in 1994, so the mental atmosphere at the top may have improved enough.

nike air max 95 March 13, 2014 at 3:07 am

“Tibet independence” by several steps under the guise of a “middle way” and “non-violence”, according to the article. No matter how the Dalai clique changed their approach, their attempt to internationalize the “Tibetan issue” has remained the same

The Anti-Gnostic March 14, 2014 at 10:11 am

I remember George Will once pointed out three things common to 90+/-% of people above the poverty line: HS diploma, no children outside of marriage, no children and no marriage before age 21. Of the 90+/-% below the poverty line, they missed one or more of those three. You can scale that up that to the macro level: prosperous countries have, to varying and relative degrees, free markets and the rule of law.

But the Cathedral always talks about poverty as some purely exogenous event, as if hundreds of millions of people and entire countries just have this incredible run of bad luck, year after year, decade after decade.

I think we’re still on the tail end of that trope; the Cathedral has a few more hat tricks it will roll out to End Poverty. After that, I foresee government aid–and foreign aid–being conditioned on sterilizations or demonstrated infertility.