Assorted links

by on April 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. Space-saving sink and toilet combined design.

2. “Dr. Hirotaka Osawa from Tsukuba University, in Japan, has developed a new wearable device to help us with something called “emotional labor.”” The full link is here.  Recommended.

3. What is the worst kind of mistake a small German furniture store might possibly make?  Note that so far fewer than ten percent of the sold cups have been returned.

4. Indian economic recovery may not be so assured after all.

5. Romantic consensus decreases as individuals get to know each other better.

6. Land, secular stagnation models, negative rates of return, and a new proposed rustication.

7. Prefiero un otro nombre del pueblo, si?

Anon April 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm

1. Quite green . If care is taken not to clog the sink , the used water from the sink could also be used to flush the toilet?

Mitch Berkson April 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm

It is. There is a valve which lets you choose whether the sink drains to the toilet tank or bypasses it.

Looks problematic to clean underneath though.

Mark Thorson April 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I remember seeing a sink-toilet combo to get double use out of gray water back in the 1970s. I believe I saw it in Popular Science. I don’t know if the idea was even new at that time.

Rahul April 13, 2014 at 3:32 am

I like the water saving idea but can’t they separate them physically? It’d be mighty odd staring into a toilet bowl while using the sink. And any dropping your toothbrush etc. plonk it goes into your toilet bowl.

AndrewL April 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm

#1) yeah this tech has been around for a while: https://www.google.com/search?q=prison+toliet

Jess Riedel April 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm

5. Could someone translate the abstract? Does “relational perspectives” just mean traits in one person whose value that depend on the other person, like a certain sense of humor? What are “targets”? (People? Traits?) What is “relationship variance”, or “relationship quality projections”?

More importantly, was all this based off of reports written by the subjects (“Participants described their personal conceptions of mate value” i.e. “I like Jill because of how we just click together; looks aren’t that important to me.”)? Or did they actually try to predict relationships that would form by measuring traits with non-subjective metrics? The descriptions of study 2 and 3 are opaque.

ThomasH April 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm

# 7 While they are at it, they might change Matamoros and “Depeñamoros”, too, although a word like depeñar, to throw [someone something ] off a cliff should not be lost. Also it is not necessary to write “un otro;” “otro” is enough.

ThomasH April 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

And the Matamoros in Texas, too.

prior_approval April 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

3. Teacups, beer – this web site has your Hitler products well covered – http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/07/markets-in-everything-hitler-themed-beer-edition.html

CD April 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm

One of the eerie things about Spain is all the places named for absent Jews.

Why are there so many Matamoroses in Mexico?

Z April 12, 2014 at 3:20 pm

The Saracens cast a long shadow.

Adrian Ratnapala April 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

#6. I think I understand Rowe’s complaint in a technical sense: if secular stagnation == 0 real interest (does it?) then it should also mean the real rate of profit (rent) from land is also zero or else arbitrage!

But where do we go from here? I don’t think Rowe beleives that the smart thing for modern youngsters to do is to rusticate themselves, dropping those mechatronics degrees in order to rake it in as a farmers. And if that *is* the smart thing to do, doesn’t that mean that civilisation has stagnated, or even regressed?

Virginia Postrel April 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Twenty years ago, my parents lived in Japan for a year they had a sink-toilet like that.

Virginia Postrel April 12, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I mean WHEN my parents lived… (When are they going to add editing to these comments, for people who hit “return” too quickly?)

JWatts April 12, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Just file the lack of an Edit Feature under the Great Stagnation folder.

Brad April 12, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Edit is incompatible with anonymity.

Rahul April 13, 2014 at 3:03 am

I hope never. I like the comments as they are.

Adrian Ratnapala April 13, 2014 at 6:27 am

That’s because you have better grammar than me. Or a better internal proofreader. In hindsight, my grammar is razor sharp.

Jan April 12, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I’ve been telling my friends about the economy of a “shoilet” ever since I visited Korea a couple years ago.

Robert April 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I’ve seen sink-toilets (“Stinklets”) in Asia for a while–but these use the gray water” from the sink drain to add to the toilet tank. That makes a lot of sense…..

Paavo Ojala April 12, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Innovative bathroom solutions are prone to cause anxiety and embarassing situations.

Using sink water for flushing would normally cause problems with bacterial growth with any normal setup. That’s probably the reason why that obvious water saving technique isn’t used.

JWatts April 12, 2014 at 5:13 pm

“Using sink water for flushing would normally cause problems with bacterial growth with any normal setup.”

That was my first thought, also. Some kind of tablet with a slow releasing chemical to kill bacteria would probably overcome that problem, but that might be less green. The economic fact is that water (at least in the US) tends to be very cheap.

David C April 12, 2014 at 6:27 pm

1) A lot of US building codes ban the toilet-sink combo although sometimes not explicitly.

Rahul April 13, 2014 at 3:36 am

How so? Via what clause?

I remember US codes were conflicting with waterless chemical toilets too.

TR April 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

#1. There’s an obvious way to make it even more compact

John B. Chilton April 12, 2014 at 9:12 pm

My cat figured that one out on his own.

Rahul April 13, 2014 at 3:38 am

I think your cat is optimizing beyond what @TR had in mind. :)

Ray Lopez April 12, 2014 at 10:51 pm

@#5 – “Romantic consensus” – I found this abstract hard to decipher. I think it is saying as couples know each other for decades, what they find romantic is idiosyncratic things that the other person may not be aware of, as opposed to the beginning of a relationship when say a certain muscle group is what is mutually agreed to be “hot”. But I’m not sure. And it’s probably one of those B.S. type social studies that finds statistical significance if a trait is expressed slightly more than it would by chance, say 1 in 20 vs 1 in 33.

asfasdfj April 13, 2014 at 11:14 am

you should translate some of these links with unnecessarily technical language to plain english.

Li Zhi April 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm