Gabriel García Márquez has passed away at 87

by on April 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm in Books, The Arts | Permalink

Everyone reads One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera but actually my favorites are some of the early short fiction and also News of a Kidnapping [Noticio de un Secuestro], plus the unfinished autobiography.

The NYT obituary is here.

David Lira April 17, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I like La Mala Hora y Hojarasca, two short and not very well known stories. Maybe they are not among his best. I ignore the name of those in english, sorry.

shivuintheshowers April 17, 2014 at 5:36 pm

100 years was a memorable read.

Regards,
Everyone

Donald Pretari April 17, 2014 at 7:04 pm

In 1983, I started a bookstore with a couple of friends of mine. It was intended to be simply a used book store. However, after about a month, I decided to have a shelf of a few of my favorite books that were in pocketbook form near the cash register. I’d had a section of new philosophy and critical theory books at my previous bookstore job that was doing quite well, so I decided to give this a shot. The very first book that came in was One Hundred Years of Solitude. From that first title, the bookstore eventually developed a very large new book collection. One Hundred Years of Solitude was like a potent seed for my store, and, based on the thousands of copies we sold of it over the years, I can verify that’s what kind of book it was, i.e., a book so wonderful that it led people to value reading more and expand their reading horizons. A magical book indeed.

dangerman April 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Team Tracy all the way! #HIMYM

Adrian Lucardi April 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude, didn’t like Love in the Times of Cholera or Chronicle of a Death Foretold, but my personal favorite is The Autumn of the Patriarch. I worry it’s unstranslatable, though.

Errorr April 17, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I did enjoy Chronicle of a Death Foretold for a deeper examination of Latin American culture, religion, and class issues. Even from a Mexican American family it was eerily resonant with a culture a thousand miles away.

DC April 18, 2014 at 10:01 am

typical hipster-type post… “I liked him before he was cool.”

Hipster April 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I like his obscure stuff, not what everyone else liked.