The Georgia Tech online program is going pretty well

by on June 6, 2014 at 5:39 am in Current Affairs, Economics, Education, Uncategorized | Permalink

Administrators at the Georgia Institute of Technology are optimistic but “not declaring victory” after one semester of its affordable online master’s degree program in computer science. While the program has been well-received by students, administrators are still striving to solve an equation that balances cost, academic quality and support services.

“We’re not all the way there yet, but I couldn’t ask for a much better start,” Zvi Galil, dean of the College of Computing, wrote last month in an email to Georgia Tech faculty on the one-year anniversary of the program’s announcement.

…The buzz around the online degree program appears to have benefited the residential program as well. This year, applications were up by 30 percent, the university reported.

There is more here.

prior_approval June 6, 2014 at 5:47 am

‘after one semester of its affordable online master’s degree program in computer science’

I believe GNU has been offering something other than an affordable master’s degree for several decades now.

But that is for people who actually enjoy learning about and modifying software that is free for everyone.

Curt F. June 6, 2014 at 5:51 am

One student’s more detailed account of participating in the program:

Ray Lopez June 6, 2014 at 5:51 am

“The buzz around the online degree program appears to have benefited the residential program as well. This year, applications were up by 30 percent, the university reported.” – and if most online people in distance learning are from the same general geographical location as the university server, as seems to be the case universally (I myself am from the DC area for example, and read this DC-area site), this makes even more sense.

rayward June 6, 2014 at 6:36 am

GT ranks very high in best value, with graduates’ average compensation high relative to graduates from other colleges. This, I would guess, might attract students, on-line as well as resident. While GT offers non-technical programs, it is a tech school; that’s why it’s called Georgia Tech. It’s not for everyone: girls are in short supply. But that’s another issue for another day.

Rusty Synapses June 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

I got an MS in CS from Stanford in the 80s. I did one quarter in the Summer, and most of my classes were taped lectures. Honestly, I don’t think it was very different from live lectures – I think the whole degree could have been online without much difference in the experience – watching lectures and programming.

Carola Binder June 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I went to Georgia Tech and got a BS in math. It was an outstanding experience and I hope their new program continues to go well.

DK222 June 7, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Their applications were up over 30% last year not because of this program, but because GaTech shamelessly caved and joined the dreaded Common App, which allows lazy teenagers to spam applications to Tech more easily even if they’re just marginally interested as long as they have mom and dad’s credit card.

Helps the Deans look good though!

Vikram Krishnan June 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

As a Ramblin’ Wreck myself, it is nice to see GT lead the charge into the 21st century