Arrived in my Twitter feed

by on July 9, 2014 at 12:25 pm in Books, Philosophy | Permalink

Notice of:

How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life: An Unexpected Guide to Human Nature and Happiness

By Russ Roberts, now available for pre-order.

prior_approval July 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Interesting how the chairman and general director of the Mercatus Center and GMU econ dept prof finds out about a Mercatus affiliated senior scholar and GMU econ dept colleague’s book through Twitter.

Even more interesting is the method of making such a depersonalized link – maybe because Twitter is the sort of thing where talking about what everyone else is talking about allows for that sense of plausible deniability when anyone points out the relatively low probability that such a discovery was merely coincidental.

Brian Albrecht July 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Russ Roberts is not a GMU econ professor, just an FYI.

Urstoff July 9, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Yes, so interesting…

prior_approval July 9, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My apologies to Prof. Russel – he is not merely a Mercatus affiliated senior scholar, he is also the J. Fish and Lillian F. Smith Distinguished Scholar there.

Which may, or may not, be related to this – http://non-profit-organizations.findthebest.com/l/852283/J-Fish-Smith-And-Lillian-F-Smith-Endowed-Chari-Of-Economics-Trust-F (I do believe that ‘Chari’ is supposed to be ‘Chair,’ but that was the data provided for what the IRS classifies as a ‘religious organization’)

msgkings July 9, 2014 at 2:02 pm

You owe a lot of apologies to a lot more people than that.

Russ Roberts July 9, 2014 at 1:41 pm

For the record, I am no longer the Fish Distinguished Scholar at the Mercatus Center nor am I a faculty member at George Mason University’s economics department. I am now full-time at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution. I remain a huge fan of the ideas and work of my former colleagues at George Mason. But I don’t see Tyler as.much as I’d like, alas.

Sam July 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Tyler, would it be possible for you to make your Amazon affiliate links redirect to smile.amazon.com rather than http://www.amazon.com? I have set it up so that GiveDirectly gets a small donation whenever I buy through the former domain. (Anyone can pick a charity of their choice, and I recommend they do!) But (a) it’s hard to remember to go to the other domain when I click an affiliate link for a recommended book, and (b) often those affiliate links are posted by you at MR. So if Amazon offers you the option of using the smile domain by default for your affiliate links, I think it would be cool of you to use that option. (No idea if this is possible or not, but figured it was worth asking.)