Browse every book hyperlink ever posted on Marginal Revolution (is this the second best web site ever?)

by on June 4, 2017 at 11:36 am in Books, Web/Tech | Permalink

My product: http://marginalrevolutionbooks.com/books/2017/5

Marginal Revolution is one of the most popular economics blogs on the Internet, with a libertarian slant. It has been in constant operation since 2003, and has posted over 4000 links to books on Amazon.

I got the idea for this product from the Indie Hackers interview for Hacker News Books. https://www.indiehackers.com/businesses/hacker-news-books

The site is totally functional, now I need to promote it and get some users (like me) who are superfans of Marginal Revolution and often buy books after reading about them on there.

Feedback and ideas appreciated!

Here is the link, that was posted by linuxfan2718 at IndieHackers, and for the pointer I thank P.

1 cfh June 4, 2017 at 11:46 am

self-recommending

2 prior_test2 June 4, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Or self-supporting, as the Amazon case may be.

3 Thiago Ribeiro June 4, 2017 at 12:45 pm

There is no Great Stagnation in book linking.

4 AlanG June 4, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Last thing I want to do is sign up for another website so I’ll post the comment here. His site could really use a search function rather than just browsing through months of book recommendations.

5 Jonathan June 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm

But if you wanted to search, you could just search MR itself.

6 BJ dubbS June 4, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Just search site:

7 asdf June 4, 2017 at 12:19 pm

I love it. but how about a “random month” section? It would be a neat way to dig through old MR posts and find books you’ve forgotten about

8 LinuxFan2718 June 4, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Thank you for this feedback, I have acted on it and added a “Random Month” button, enjoy!

9 prior_test2 June 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm

‘(is this the second best web site ever?)’

No, according to Betteridge’s law of headlines – ‘Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.’

Though one can be impressed at your product, though – getting a cut as an Amazon affiliate from leveraging ‘one of the most popular economics blogs on the Internet’ is certainly profitable. Is any book that is not available with a bit of that affiliate payola from Amazon actually listed?

10 Baphomet June 4, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I believe you are on to something there! I never saw a book mentioned here that was not available on Amazon. I am now very suspicious about the selection criteria! Then again, practically ALL books are available from Amazon. But still!

11 prior_test2 June 4, 2017 at 1:52 pm

For a change, the Complacent Class is also available from Barnes and Noble – Amazon too, but still.

12 Ari June 4, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Awesome. I have been looking for something like this.

13 Rich Berger June 4, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Libertarian-leaning?

14 rayward June 4, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Cowen reads all these books so we don’t have to. Or do I misunderestimate us. [When I was a freshman I asked a professor for a reading list, books and studies he considered essential reading. He pointed in the direction of the library.]

15 Ray Lopez June 4, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Wikipedia is surprisingly good if you want to read a book without actually going through it. For example Fukuyama’s book (which I have read, Sam Fulsome) but others too. Good for movies as well. Of course it’s not the same as actually reading the book or seeing the movie but it’s 50% as good.

Bonus trivia: Who Killed Hammarskjold? by Susan Williams (2014) should be next on TC’s read list, it sparked a UN investigation after it was published and a new one is ongoing as late as May of this year. See Book Depository for a quick summary. It’s about White Privilege.

16 Charles June 4, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I would like to see Tyler & Alex’s views on each book within the database without having to come back to the What I’ve Been Reading link or other to Marginal Revolution. It means a lot more clicking back to the MR site when I’d prefer to see that information in front of me on the Books site.

17 TuringTest June 4, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Wow, Tyler “read” 48 books just during the month of May alone!

18 carlospln June 4, 2017 at 11:51 pm

He read ‘War & Peace’ last night.

Its about Russia.

19 Attila Smith June 5, 2017 at 12:35 pm

+1 (Woody Allen said: “it’s about some Russians”)

20 The Other Jim June 5, 2017 at 8:09 am

>with a libertarian slant.

The greatest trick Tyler ever pulled is convincing the world he “leans libertarian.”

21 Ryan T June 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm

I clicked through, and I think the site is cool. There are book covers, which are great, and links to the original articles, including TC’s Bloomberg posts. There also seem to be books that I didn’t realize were on MR because they are only linked to.

Having said that, there’s something to be said for less efficient and less collated book browsing. I find that most book recommendation sites are now just top ten collections whose entries I’ve already mostly read or read around. While searching for “Against the Grain” on my library’s database, for example, I found three other books that I wanted to read. I of course put holds on all of them and will probably read one of them. They don’t have a copy of “Against the Grain” yet, but I would count that 30 seconds of wild goose chase on the library database as a reading win if just one of the books I found turns out to be interesting and novel.

22 Ricky Tylor June 6, 2017 at 5:34 pm

It’s one of the best sites I know, as one can read quality stuff from here. I am doing Forex trading, I find it easier with broker like OctaFX since they have wide range of features and facilities with low spreads from 0.1 pips to high leverage up to 1.500 while there is zero balance protection, swap free account and much more, it’s all very good and helps with working ever so nicely with doing everything and keeps it all easy.