Can you make twenty-year-old rum in six days?

by on June 28, 2017 at 2:41 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

Via Samir Varma, this Wayne Curtis piece is one of my favorite essays this year, furthermore shades of Knut Wicksell’s wine aging model.  What are the problems with asynchronous, and to what extent can producers move closer to simultaneity?  Might such a transition sometimes be impossible at any cost?

The piece is hard to excerpt, but here is one fine sentence:

Yet somehow that business model is not so idiotic that it keeps people out of the industry.

If I handed out Sidney Awards as does David Brooks, this would get one from me.

1 prior_test2 June 28, 2017 at 3:26 am

Doesn’t David Brooks hand out Red Lobster Awards?

2 Axa June 28, 2017 at 5:57 am

The objective is not to replicate 33 year aged rum from Guyana but produce a good flavoured beverage .

It resembles the relationship between pils and refrigeration technology . Pilsener did not aimed to taste like ale, it substituted them.

3 Ted Craig June 28, 2017 at 7:04 am

“If I handed out Sidney Awards as does David Brooks, this would get one from me.”
Why don’t you?

4 Evans_KY June 28, 2017 at 11:46 am

I appreciate his tenacity and enthusiasm. Chemists make a lot of product before they get the right combination and even then are brains are wired to improve. As a plug for my state, the bourbon industry is continually innovating and offers tours year round. 🙂

David would probably bypass this wonderful account because it misses the motivation. What caused this Californian boy to start tinkering in high school to make rum? What drove him to Spain and why has he returned?

5 Anonymous June 28, 2017 at 12:08 pm

This article is way too weird for me, and I suspect that the only reason to do “premium rum” is that someone has already “premiumed” everything with an actual flavor profile. That is, the traditional beer, wine, and sipping liquors (including of course bourbon).

Trend chasing.

6 Brian June 28, 2017 at 3:22 pm

This is not an actual invention. It’s common knowledge heat, light, and mechanical shock and vibe simulates aging. Manufacturers use accelerated aging to estimate how much risk they can take with product warranties.

7 Mark Thorson June 28, 2017 at 9:24 pm

A little too much showmanship stimulates my “scam alert” neurons. A good product doesn’t need a canal, gondola, or dragon, especially if the market is craft distillers. On the other hand, if the market is investors — say, from Hollywood — then presentation is the most important thing.