The mall and family culture that is Shanghai

by on July 17, 2017 at 12:59 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

A Chinese mall has introduced “husband storage” facilities for wives to leave their spouse while they shop, it’s reported.

According to The Paper, the Global Harbour mall in Shanghai has erected a number of glass pods for wives to leave any disgruntled husbands that don’t want to be dragged around the shops.

Inside each individual pod is a chair, monitor, computer and gamepad, and men can sit and play retro 1990s games. Currently, the service is free, but staff told the newspaper that in future months, users will be able to scan a QR code and pay a small sum for the service using their mobile phones.

A few men that tried out the pods told The Paper that they thought they were a novel idea.

Mr Yang said he thinks the pods are “Really great. I’ve just played Tekken 3 and felt like I was back at school!”

Another man, Mr Wu, agreed, but said that that he thought there were areas for improvement. “There’s no ventilation or air conditioning, I sat playing for five minutes and was drenched in sweat.”

Here is the full account, via Michelle Dawson.

1 Ex-P.F.C. Wintergreen July 17, 2017 at 2:31 am

Art imitates life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-3eRMpOC4 (Nathan For You)

2 dux.ie July 17, 2017 at 4:17 am
3 kimock July 17, 2017 at 5:04 am

Like most adult men, I too have been left doing the “man stand” in various stores, waiting on my significant other. I have long said that many retailers would have advantage by installing comfortable waiting lounges with magazines, wi fi, drinks (maybe alcoholic?).

4 Thiago Ribeiro July 17, 2017 at 7:14 am

Why? You wait there anyway.

5 Thiago Ribeiro July 17, 2017 at 7:15 am

Such is life is Xi’s China.

6 Ray Lopez July 17, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Who runs China, the President (Party Chairman), the Prime Minister (Premier), the seven member Politburo Standing Committee? Somebody else? And why do the Chinese put their last name first? It’s so mysterious and confusing…

7 Thiago Ribeiro July 17, 2017 at 3:50 pm

The Party Chairman unless he has the Politburo against him, like Khruschev and Hua Guofeng had. They use their last name first because they have no individuality.

8 Slocum July 17, 2017 at 9:45 am

I could never figure out why men accompany their wives to malls in the first place. Or could it be the same reason that the men in South Park took their wives to Broadway musicals?

9 Tim Worstall July 17, 2017 at 5:28 am

Most places I’ve ever been have these already. They go under a variety of names – pubs, bars, cafes……

10 ClickByCommenters July 17, 2017 at 7:32 am

They don’t have bars in China?

11 bryan willman July 17, 2017 at 11:35 am

there is a bar in seattle – ballard – that used to advertise “husband daycare” – “leave him here, pay the bill, we’ll take care of him”

12 Pava Renat July 18, 2017 at 12:39 pm

That bar is in Lower Queen Anne, on Nickerson Str, a block away from Seattle Pacific Univ. It’s been there for years, and it says something like this: “Drop your husband off in the morning, we’ll care for him all day, and all you do is pay for his drinks.” So that’s where the Chinese copied their idea from!

13 j mct July 17, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I was once in a store with my wife that had a chair with a ‘tired husband chair’ sign on it. I sat in it gladly while she rummaged around.

14 Bored July 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Makes me think of Spares by Michael Marshall Smith. The book included a bit about a guy who placed kits for men to fiddle with and build in shopping centers, while their wives were shopping. Kept the husbands occupied, and the finished kits were sold by the person who set up the sites, making the originator quite wealthy.