Ray Bradbury markets in everything

by on October 23, 2017 at 1:37 pm in Books | Permalink

Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 tells the story of a dystopian future where books have been outlawed and are destroyed by firemen who set them ablaze. But in an ironic twist, Super Terrain, a publisher in France, has created a new edition of Bradbury’s classic that actually requires extreme heat in order to be read.

Jo Frenken shared this video to Instagram showing a prototype copy of the book, which was developed by the Charles Nypels Lab at the Netherlands-based Jan van Eyck Academie—a research institute known for its experiments in materials and media. The pages of the book appear completely blacked-out—like a redacted CIA file—as you flip through them. But when heat is applied, using a flame from a lighter, in this case, the heat-activated ink disappears and the underlying text is revealed.

That is by Andrew Liszewski, via Ted Gioia.

1 leppa October 23, 2017 at 1:41 pm

It would have been more appropriate if it was readable, when it is cooled.

2 Edward Burke October 23, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Unit cost?

Such a title could provide its own invitation to empiricism: since the ignition temperature of paper ranges from Fahrenheit 424 to F. 475, the manufacturer might shrewdly devise editions and printings that exhibit this narrow spectrum of thermal variation. (Maybe the inks could change color, too.)

3 Scott Mauldin October 23, 2017 at 2:49 pm

I’m wondering if this or similar technology could have applications for horizontal surfaces – e.g. parking lots – that darken in winter to absorb sunlight and help prevent ice accumulation, but lighten in summer to increase albedo and lower temperatures.

4 Ray Lopez October 23, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Los Angeles already is experimenting with a paint that does just that. I read it on ScienceDirect a few months ago.

5 Hua Wei October 23, 2017 at 3:02 pm
6 Ray Lopez October 23, 2017 at 3:39 pm

In these censorious times we have to watch out for censorship, just like in the days of Bradbury. For example, where is “Prior_Approval” aka “Prior_Test”? Why doesn’t he post here anymore? Is MR censoring him or is he willingly not participating in the comments anymore? My tinfoil hat is sounding an alarm. …

Bonus trivia: in a few weeks I will be moving back from DC to a remote mountain village on the west side of the Philippines with my fiance. Internet is extremely limited so I won’t be posting here much at that time (or even surfing the internet; I’ve stocked up on my Kindle and my laptop with enough books for the next five years). I will inform you in due time so everybody–all the hundreds of you who read my comments–can bid me goodbye because I know how much you love me. Yes, you too.

7 athEIst October 23, 2017 at 6:33 pm

l will miss your comments,

8 corvusb October 23, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I’ll bet those books run out in 2.5 years. Whats left then, you won’t want to read anyway.

9 Ray Lopez October 23, 2017 at 11:54 pm

@corvusb – yes, I often find myself cherry picking the good reading stuff and leaving the boring or hard stuff. I have a bunch of science and logic textbooks I’ve been leaving on the back shelf for a while.

@Viking- I plan to check my bank accounts using a VPN and a public network in the closest town about an hour drive away, once a month or so.

@athEIst – thanks. About 10 years ago I quit work while still making low six figures in salary, at the top of my game, like GM Kasparov in chess. I figured it was not worth it (my rich folks have money that I’ll inherit anyway; DC real estate) and I wanted to start a family, which is hard to do as a middle aged man in the USA. I finally found a girl half my age overseas after about 10 years dating and I think she’s the one (it’s really hard to tell but I think she’s OK or a great actress, it’s an interesting Hegelian dialectic). As luck would have it I inherited a chuck of money from a Greek relative (long story, the domestic helper also stole a huge chuck, it was cash hidden in my senile relative’s house, very common in the Balkans, my relative believed the hype about Greek banks going under and withdrew huge bricks of money–I finally got to know first hand what a 500 Euro note looks like) that ironically was equivalent to the savings I would have made had I continued to work for another decade. My savings rate was as high as 30% while on salary. So $150k x 30% = 45k USD a year savings, and I was living like a monk (no cafes, no fun, no nothing). Living large some years I only made about 15% savings, just enough to save for one year of your retirement. There’s more to life than accumulating money for retirement. It helps to have rich parents. But working for The Man is a “forced move” as they say in chess (a necessary move, not involving creativity or choice). Turn on, tune in, drop out my friend (and not just with drugs, see the Wikipedia entry on this as Leary explained it).

10 Viking October 23, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Do you have a strategy to prevent raiding of US bank accounts during a long absence? US accounts don’t have much safeguards against unauthorized debits, and you only have 2 months to report an unauthorized withdrawal.

11 A clockwork orange October 23, 2017 at 11:56 pm

you are a rare bird Ray. the kind I suspect will find you as yourself.

12 rayward October 23, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Would extreme heat be a metaphor for red in the face anger? When I’m hot (angry), I am about as rational as a rattle snake. Just how much does one learn reading a book that requires the reader to be red in the face angry. Not much, I suppose. Such is the future, books that cannot teach to readers who cannot learn.

13 The Other Jim October 23, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Talk about a complete waste of energy and disrespect for Gaia.

When are the French going to start caring about Global Warming?

14 athEIst October 23, 2017 at 6:45 pm

France will be an overseas department of Arabia and Paris will look like Mecca first.

15 dux.ie October 23, 2017 at 9:12 pm

“””Stagg noted that “we thought we had solved a great problem”. “””

Yes. They had the solution in hand. What about the diversity angle?

16 mkt42 October 24, 2017 at 4:25 am

Or how about Ray Bradbury Media in Everything: late in his life Bradbury liked to stage plays, often based on his novels or short stories, at a little local theater in South Pasadena, CA. I sat practically next to him watching a stage version of Fahrenheit 451.

And there’s this musical video by Rachel Bloom:

17 peri October 24, 2017 at 10:38 am

That’s clever, but there’s nowhere to hide the books anymore, what with all the TVs being flat screen.