Favorite world music 2017

by on December 21, 2017 at 1:36 pm in Music, Uncategorized | Permalink

Danyèl Waro, Monmon.  From the Reunion Islands, sample.

Residente, album is called Residente, Puerto Rican rap/reggaeton roots, but spreading out through diverse styles.

The Secret Ensemble, Call of the Birds, Turkish with classical roots, teaser here.  Passionate stuff.

Minore Manes: Rebetika Songs, from Smyrna.

Sahra Halgan Trio, Faransiskiyo, Somaliland.  Try this.

Duo Sabil, Zabad, oud and percussion.  Here is one cut.

Try this music video by Afro-Haitian Experimental Orchestra.

If you insist on something Brazilian, we can go back a year and pull out Sociedade Recreativa.

1 matt December 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm

How do you find these?

2 Gabe Atthouse December 21, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Noooo!!! That’s what he wants you to say, Tyler is a pretentious douche with his head up his own ass. He didn’t include the Alt-J album, which means he cares nothing for real music.

3 Scott Mauldin December 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Out of curiosity, what would distinguish a genuine cultured intellectual from a wannabe?

4 Marquis Jackson December 21, 2017 at 7:40 pm

He didn’t include a single African musician. Terrible.

5 Moo cow December 21, 2017 at 10:18 pm

I don’t know from Africa, but who’s Sahra Halgan?

6 Deek December 22, 2017 at 7:30 am

Where do you think Somaliland is?

7 carlospln December 21, 2017 at 10:53 pm

No ‘Elwan’ by Tinariwen?

They rock.

8 Benny Lava December 21, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Is that last bit a dig at the Brazilian nationalists in the comments?

9 Vox clamantis in deserto December 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Apparently, I have been banned. The minions of malefactors of great wealth know pretty well where their Christmas breads are buttered.

10 msgkings December 21, 2017 at 4:04 pm

You don’t know where your breads are buttered?

11 A Truth seeker December 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm

I know. And it certainly is not at the side of systematic oppression of my neighbours!

12 msgkings December 21, 2017 at 4:42 pm

That’s because your neighbors have all moved away. I won’t insult you by explaining why.

13 Vox clamantis in deserto December 21, 2017 at 4:50 pm

No, they haven’t. I can hear the sound of their gates opening at morning. And I can see their dog at the garden. And I using the word “neighbour” in a much more wide meaning, a biblical meaning even (“love thy neighbours”). The point is, they (the blog hosts, not my neighbours) support the savage Japanese and Chinese regimes, so they can not tolerate me criticizing said regimes and calling for their nuclear annihilation. Unfortunately, it is as simple as this.

14 Finally December 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Someone making some sense around here!

15 Vox clamantis in deserto December 21, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Thanks.

16 E.P. December 21, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Vox clamans in deserto. Vocis clamantis in deserto. Vocis clamantis in deserto. Vocem clamantem in deserto. Voce clamante in deserto.

Voces clamantes in deserto. Vocum clamantium (or vocum clamantum or vocum clamantorum, depending on your level of familiarity with scribal/generational variations, the last two are rare/unattested, but many Latin readers would have found them natural) in deserto, Vocibus clamantibus in deserto.
Voces clamantes in deserto, Vocibus clamantibus in deserto.

I left off the vocative case, as being supererogatory for the declined phrase in all, or almost all, current and past usage.

All the declined forms I listed (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative, singular then plural) are more than possible in ordinary Latin prose.

‘Vox clamantis in deserto’ is possible too, but if so, it should be spelled, under modern spelling conventions, “Vox Clamantis in deserto”. If you want my opinion, it is grammatically correct but not really Latin at heart. I think you meant “Vox clamans in deserto”, not “Vox clamantis in deserto” as your moniker. But maybe you know much more Latin than me.

John the Baptist is a big deal in France and several other countries. (Mostly ones on or near the Mediterranean, but there are some exceptions – Canada, where not only John the Baptist but also his aunt Saint Anne (he was her nephew) are widely honored, is not really near the Mediterranean, although, of course, it is nearer than China or Chile or the Palau Islands to the Mediterranean, regardless of which direction you start out (from Canada), assuming you do not start out going completely the wrong way -and one hopes that is not too much to ask).

17 Bop December 21, 2017 at 11:38 pm

E.P. I must agree with you that the devil is a terrorist in Paradise Lost. Brazil is in many a way paradise lost. And found. Again. A young fountain of youth. Brazil is Milton’s Paradise Lost and the Devil’s Advocate is a terrorist. I agree E.P. that in Trump’s America the ablative case is the supreme ruler.

18 Vox clamantis in deserto December 22, 2017 at 7:15 am

I stand for the permissibility of vox clamantis in deserto. https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/vox_clamantis_in_deserto

“hic est enim qui dictus est per Esaiam prophetam dicentem vox clamantis in deserto parate viam Domini rectas facite semitas eius.”

19 bop December 22, 2017 at 9:55 pm

he hears the voice but the not the words.

20 efim polenov December 22, 2017 at 10:16 pm

In the days of Esias (Isaiah in more recent terminology) “vox claimantis in deserto” was certainly permissible, because Isaiah – one of the prophets referred to in Matthew 13:17 -would have been overjoyed to hear just a few words of the words Jesus spoke to the people of his day. When the vox clamans was not an individual human being whom we all can name … but now … things have changed

I could be wrong (I am often wrong, sometimes I am right – I left my colorful Christmas lights out all summer on my upper floor balcony, where they were faded by the beautiful but strong sunlight of summer, and when I saw what they looked like this December, faded away by the sunlight of the summer and autumn months, like the way the older angels are more tranquil and loving (more faded, one might say, not understanding the words) – I felt I needed to explain.) So I told my friends (they remember) that faded Christmas lights are like old dogs or old angels, they may seem to be less bright than they were in younger days but they are more tranquil, more loving, more gentle, and we are happy if we can see that.

Thanks, Bop, thanks Vox clamantis in deserto. It is good to discuss such things as the way to get our friends closer to the road to paradise.

21 efim polenov December 22, 2017 at 10:17 pm

The balcony faces a beautiful wood, the only woods that I have ever seen, year after year, with the knowledge of happiness

22 yo December 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Residente’s great. One of my all time favourite albums is still los de atrás vienen conmigo.

23 yo December 21, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Actually the main story of 2017, I think, is that it’s a Reggaeton revival year, with vibes very similar to 2006. Let’s just hope the crisis follows the opulent bragging music styles again.

24 yo December 21, 2017 at 3:30 pm

err, does not follow

25 Gabe Atthouse December 21, 2017 at 3:53 pm

My God, I just put on this album. The music is pretty good, but nothing is as funny as imagining Tyler nodding his head to this.

26 msgkings December 21, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Here’s something funnier, imagining how clever you think you are with these posts ragging on the blog hosts.

27 Gabe Atthouse December 21, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Nice!

28 clamence December 21, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I’m sure TC is going to drip his precious little tears all over his tenured paycheck after reading these snarky blog comments

29 Edward Burke December 21, 2017 at 4:40 pm
30 Scott Mauldin December 21, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I’m very surprised not to see Danish String Quartet: http://danishquartet.com/

31 Scott Mauldin December 21, 2017 at 9:01 pm
32 Ray Lopez December 21, 2017 at 10:28 pm

What is the all-time favorite world music song? Perhaps the Christmas song “We Are The World”? Does that qualify? It’s not rock but done by rockers. I understand in Africa it’s considered an insult of sorts to play this song, which implies, correctly, the Africans cannot handle their own problems and look to the West for help.

33 mapman December 24, 2017 at 5:40 pm

NO. “World” = “non-white”

34 Roy LC December 22, 2017 at 7:05 am

Danyel Waro is really good, but he is probably also the perfect “world music” guy because his stuff is rousing enough yet easily fades into the background after a minutee or two of exposure, he has just the right amount of easily explicable political stuff to let people opine “knowledgably” on and his réunionnais is just exotic enough to befuddle you for a second when you first listen. You need a lot of talent for this to work.

French culture is seriously underrated when it comes to putting out comfortably exotic art for smart educated people who want to feel that twinge of the foreign yet never have to think too hard about it. And if you think this is not genuine admiration think Carmen, Ravel, Gauguin, harem paintings, chinoiserie, etc…