My Law and Literature reading list 2018

by on December 29, 2017 at 12:42 am in Books, Law, The Arts | Permalink

The New English Bible, Oxford Study Edition [not all of it]

Guantanamo Diary, by Mohamedou Ould Slahi

Petina Gappah, The Book of Memory

Glaspell’s Trifles, available on-line.

Year’s Best SF 9, edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer, used or Kindle edition is recommended

The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories, by Franz Kafka, edited and translated by Joachim Neugroschel.

In the Belly of the Beast, by Jack Henry Abbott.

Sherlock Holmes, The Complete Novels and Stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, volume 1, also on-line.

I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov.

Juan Gabriel Vasquez, Reputations

The Pledge, Friedrich Durrenmatt.

Ian McEwan, The Children Act

Shakespeare, The Tempest, Folger edition

Margaret Atwood, Hag-Seed

Curtis Dawkins, The Graybar Hotel

Movies: To be determined.

1 clockwork_prior December 29, 2017 at 1:31 am

[not all of it] – particularly those passages where the rich are not praised for being rich are to be skipped over as if they never existed.

2 shrikanthk December 29, 2017 at 6:41 am

Some movies that I can think of –

Anatomy of a Murder (1958 – Jimmy Stewart starrer)
Young Mr Lincoln (1939 – Hank Fonda)
Angel Face (1952 – this is not a courtroom drama – but has some interesting court scenes at the end with some real life applications of Hypothesis testing – Type I / II errors).
Fury (1936)

3 shrikanthk December 29, 2017 at 6:58 am

How about Plato’s dialogues?

The Laws? Republic?

4 Todd December 29, 2017 at 9:03 am

Don’t know if the movies need to be based on literature, but just saw Losey’s “M” for the first time. It deals with all the same legal/societal issues that the original does, but throws in uniquely American facets like ‘everybody fashions themselves as some sort of lawyer’, psychological theory encroaching on the individual’s interaction with the legal/illegal system, and of course McCarthy witch hunt subtext.

Not as good a movie as Lang’s, but pretty interesting.

5 dearieme December 29, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Ian McEwan, The Children Act: I read that recently. Pretty good, I thought.

Shakespeare, The Tempest: I’ve not read it since secondary school. I don’t suppose it’s changed much.

The New English Bible, Oxford Study Edition: every now and again a Christian says something that makes me realise I know the bible better than he does. And yet I don’t really know the bible at all.

Conan Doyle, Asimov: are you teaching fifteen-year olds?

6 Donald Pretari December 29, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Hitchcock…The Wrong Man, I Confess, Frenzy. TV Movie, The Tenth Man, with Anthony Hopkins.

7 cthulhu December 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm

The Sting is a great way to show how communications are essential in any functioning organization.

Atwood is overrated; replace with Barth – Giles Goat-Boy should do.

8 byomtov December 29, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Where is Billy Budd?

9 Oderus Urungus December 29, 2017 at 9:05 pm

This list is crap, you need

I, Shithead by Joey Shithead

10 mkt42 December 30, 2017 at 6:35 am

Tyler seems to include “The Year’s Best SF 9” each time he teaches this course. I have a vague recollection that there was a discussion of some of the stories from that book — or maybe he listed the ones that he has the students read? I was inspired to go out and buy the book, but now I don’t recall which of the stories were recommended.

I could read all of them, or do a Tyler-style sampling and only finish the ones that continue to be rewarding. I only recognize the names of four or five of the authors (Butler, Haldeman, Wolfe, Doctorow, maybe Varley). I have not read any of Octavia Butler’s work so I will for sure read that one.