3. “Russian biologist Denis Rebrikov has started gene editing in eggs donated by women who can hear to learn how to allow some deaf couples to give birth to children without the genetic mutation that impairs hearing.”
6. CCP vs. KMT.
3. The new cultural debate that is France. France is pretty conservative.
4. Have individuals become more inattentive to prices over time? Data from TV game shows.
2. Japanese ninja student gets top marks for writing essay in invisible ink. “Eimi Haga followed the ninja technique of “aburidashi”, spending hours soaking and crushing soybeans to make the ink. The words appeared when her professor heated the paper over his gas stove.”
3. The California power outage and labs. How are those cadavers doing?
5. Haiti update (New Yorker).
3. How to conclude an agreement with the EU, recommended.
6. The U.S. tax system is progressive (Bloomberg).
4. Veronique on Trump and trade (NYT).
6. “Greenland went from a fertility rate of 7 children per woman to a fertility rate of 2.3 children per woman in *eight years*.” Link here.
1. “Throughout the first half of the 19th century, male students studying at Southern universities regularly mistreated, beat and raped the enslaved men, women and children who catered to their everyday needs…”
5. “The distrust persists even half a century after the [Great Chinese] Famine, has been transmitted to the subsequent generation, and has spilled over to a broad range of political attitudes unrelated to the Famine.” Link here.
6. Interview with Amartya Sen. He can’t bring himself to admit that Modi is fairly popular.