1. Kittyconomics (teaching economics through cat videos).
1. “We find a small hot hand effect for free throws, concentrated in second and third shots in a free throw sequence, in players shooting at least 100 free throws in a season, and in games where players shoot four to five free throws. We find the opposite results for field goal attempts. If a player makes a field goal, he is less likely to make his next field goal attempt. These results are robust to controlling for the characteristics of the previous shot. Interestingly, both offenses and defenses respond to made field goals as if the hot hand effect exists.” Link here.
4. Adam Sandler update (NYT).
1. Scott Sumner on progress, recommended.
2. “The Tribunal’s members are certain – unanimously, and sure beyond reasonable doubt – that in China forced organ harvesting from prisoners of conscience has been practiced for a substantial period of time involving a very substantial number of victims.” Link here.
3. Swiss asylum-seeker results: “Our baseline result is that cohorts exposed to civil conflict/mass killing during childhood are 35 percent more prone to violent crime than the average cohort.”
2. “Powell will serve 10 years in prison, Davies will do 8½ years and Wicks will spend five years behind bars for failing to report Viking treasure.” Also coins!
6. Suite Judy Blue Eyes (NYT).
4. “Studies have found that Nobel Prize-winning scientists are about 25 times more likely to sing, dance or act than the average scientist. They are also 17 times more likely to create visual art, 12 times more likely to write poetry and four times more likely to be a musician.”
2. Eww…(is that the right spelling?)…”People Are Having Sex With 3D Avatars of Their Exes and Celebrities.”
5. New papers on Smith and Hume, with themes of liberalism and esotericism.
2. Repeat link, but corporate taxes do seem to discourage investment. Just in case you had forgotten, or in case you had starting believing that correlation implies causation, or that lack of correlation implies lack of causation. Or something like that.
1. Thread on Iranian protests. As Ilya says, would be funny if higher gas prices brought them down.
3. “Lotto lout Michael Carroll reveals he is ‘happier now’ working seven days a week as a £10-an-hour coalman after blowing £10m jackpot on drink, drugs and brothels (and claims he slept with 4,000 women).” Link here.