Results for “assorted links” 4620 found
1. Alexey Guzey has a new non-profit — New Science — which seeks to revitalize science funding.
2. Wealth inequality is not the same as consumption inequality. Relevant for capital gains tax issues.
3. Noah: “My unified theory of COVID denial is “fear management”. People who weren’t used to being afraid of things suddenly had something to fear, and didn’t know how to deal with it, and felt ashamed, so they denied COVID in order to try to convince themselves they weren’t really afraid.”
4. Diem update (WSJ).
5. Shruti Rajagopalan and Alice Evans podcast on women in India, self-recommending.
5. Is the Chilean pension system unraveling? (Bloomberg)
6. “Last year, more anti-Asian hate crimes were reported to police in Vancouver, a city of 700,000 people, than in the top 10 most populous U.S. cities combined.” Note however that data standards may not be uniform! Still…
1. “Unlike some of these contests, the winner isn’t chosen at random. Instead, “your level of enthusiasm for watching home improvement shows will be a strong factor in the selection process,” according to the contest website.” Link here.
4. “Travel agencies in Thailand are selling coronavirus “vaccine tours” to the United States, as some wealthy Thais grow impatient awaiting mass inoculations that are still a month away amid the country’s biggest outbreak so far.” Link here.
1. The Chinese feminist eugenicist movement: just how well do those two views fit together?
1. Stapp and Dourado criticizing bitcoin. Better than the usual b.s.
3. How old are you? Recommended for all those above a certain age, but which age might that be? There is only one way to find out.
6. “We find that the shutdown of Google News reduces overall news consumption by about 20% for treatment users, and reduces page views on publishers other than Google News by 10%. This decrease is concentrated around small publishers.” Link here.
4. “The Pfizer vaccine’s “280 different components, manufactured in 86 different sites across 19 countries, driven partly by the research of Turkish migrants to Germany, is globalization in a needle.”” Link here.
5. Income at the margin for Supreme Court Justices (Bloomberg). Is this a problem or not?
6. The difficulties of being Australian (Pakistani).
1. Testing Magnus Carlsen, recommended.
6. Where is the best pizza? (NJ)
1. Richard Hanania follow-up on why everything is so liberal (the wrong word, in my view, btw).
1. Michael Collins, RIP (Byrds song).
2. The rise of French tacos (New Yorker).
5. Really?: “Germany’s domestic intelligence service said on Wednesday that it would surveil members of the increasingly aggressive coronavirus denier movement because they posed a risk of undermining the state.” (NYT)
6. It is hard to reform science funding, I say go stand-alone, important.