What are good pick-up lines?

by on February 14, 2006 at 1:36 pm in Education | Permalink

Chat-up lines, and other openings used to initiate a relationship with a woman, can be viewed as male displays. How well does their effectiveness accord with predictions from evolutionary psychology? 205 undergraduates (142 female, 63 male) rated 40 vignettes; in each vignette, a man approached a woman and the raters judged whether she would continue the conversation. Openings involving jokes, empty compliments and sexual references received poor ratings. Those revealing, e.g., helpfulness, generosity, athleticism, ‘culture’ and wealth, were highly rated. Although the length of the vignette–confounded here with item content–affected the rating, differences remained after the effects of length were eliminated. The success of openings which demonstrated culture was predicted from Miller’s (2000) ‘mating mind’ hypothesis; the success of others could be predicted from patterns of parental investment.

Here is the paper, and further discussion, including an audio recording of the author.  Here are some examples of the pick-up lines used.  My personal view is that demeanor and dress matter more than what you say or more than looks for that matter.  I also suspect that respondents are trying to look good in the eyes of the surveyors, and that "non-cultured" (my polite term) pick-up lines work only with personal delivery and in direct life context, not on paper.  So all you nerds out there, don’t waste your time talking about the Steinway.

aaron February 14, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Small talk.

Reveal something deeply personal and not appropriate to tell a stranger.

If she is too shocked to turn her back on you, say:

“I’m trying an experiment tonight. I want fall in love, have a woman fall in love with me, and walk away. All in one night.

yoyo February 14, 2006 at 4:40 pm

something funny, interesting. something that lets you transition into a story that displays that you are a high-status alpha male. IF she is a very attractive woman (0.5 or 10), something playfully insulting.

bob mologna February 14, 2006 at 11:23 pm

“I love your shoes!” Best chat up line ever… At first they think you
are gay and thus, no threat. Then they realise that you are straight
and have great taste. You’re in.

Michael Stastny February 15, 2006 at 5:40 pm

Paradox of Choice : Interesting Fact :

“Can I buy you a drink” works better than “Can I buy you a drink or do you want the money?”

Big Man February 24, 2006 at 2:25 pm

“I like your tits, wanna fuck?”

Works always, believe me!

Just try it, you won’t believe it.

linda October 10, 2006 at 8:24 am
Dave February 18, 2007 at 3:43 pm

I’m pretty sure that most women react poorly to pick up lines, but you can try this one for fun: Do you eat Lucky Charms? Because you look magically delicious.

I guess opening with a pick up line is ok, if its pulled off as something for fun, and then quickly followed up with a good conversation.

EdwardFlichman September 26, 2007 at 8:22 am

Wow, really cool article. I write about the same subject, but this was pretty faschinating! :)

lizzie January 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Sorry link didnt work in previous comment, here goes- Funny pick up lines