Markets in everything, Australian surfer dude edition

by on January 18, 2007 at 12:25 pm in Economics | Permalink

Tired of your current life?

This auction is for a New Life in the coastal town of Wollongong, Australia of a 24 year old male.

- Will introduce to all my friends & potential lovers (around 8 which I have been flirting with

- I have around 15 close friends and around 170 other friends – I have 2 nemeses

- Lifestyle is very social. It includes a lot of going out.

NB: Friends will treat you exactly as they have treated me. This includes friends who take me surfing, running, climbing and cook for me. All of these features will be transferred over to the winning applicant.

Life also includes the following features:

Will have access to a cruisy job in March delivering fruit.
You will write a satirical horiscope in the University of Wollongong Magazine.
You will have new parents to have Christmas with & birthday presents from friends.
A birthday party will also be organised for you.

This auction also includes the following
- A 4 week training course by the former me which includes the following:
- Many anecdotes and stories from a very interesting and intriguing past 24 years of my life
- 6 Jokes
- Training in becoming me (fashion, food, lifestyle, style of seduction, interests)
- Haircut like mine
- Piercings to the value of $180.
- Lessons in my personal history (The good stuff and the bad stuff)
- Skills Lessons (as mentioned above)

NB: After the 4 week training winning bidder will also receive 2 months of on-call support.

Here is the link, thanks to Hugh for the pointer.  There have been eighty bids and the price is over $40,000 Australian dollars.  The winner does not receive the passport, driver’s license, or inheritance rights of the seller.

Cyrus January 18, 2007 at 1:04 pm

People have been doing this with online role-playing game characters for years now. It was only a matter of time until the market expanded to Real Life.

Murphy January 18, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Nice posting of a silly idea.

The real problem is in the obtaining of lovers. That is the transfer that he cannot enforce. Sure I would like to be able attract young women the way I used to, 23 years ago. But as a post 40 male, I am invisible to under 25 year old women. So I would end up asking for my money back.

dj superflat January 18, 2007 at 7:52 pm

he only agrees to limit his contact with former life to a “different persona”? i think that’s the real rub (no good becoming him, even if viable option, if he’s possibly still around, regardless whether under another “persona”).

Trieu Truong January 18, 2007 at 9:00 pm

This is one of the greatest things ever. The idea of identity as an internal, irreplaceable essence is overrated. This project makes hilarious (and profitable!) use of that fact. I wonder what problems will ensue. I anticipate few, but interesting ones. I just hope the resulting documentary is good.

blink January 18, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Amazing — in theory, his parents will embrace you and his ex will despise you. It seems there is a problem, however: the seller is computer illiterate (his roommate is brokering the deal, according to the posting), yet auctioning on Ebay possible buyers are ipso facto computer literate. Could this difference kill the deal?

Alex R January 19, 2007 at 9:55 am

Very entertaining, but I have to admit that the whole thing loses most of its interest for me when I read this little add-on line:

“Also please note that a documentary is being made so anyone who wins this bid will need to participate in the doco.”

OK, so *that’s* what it’s all about…. Never mind…

james January 19, 2007 at 4:44 pm

why would i want to be someone else, especially when the real guy doesnt want to really be him.
As far as Im conserned, the guy must be a real loser anyway if he doesnt want to live his own life anymore
and would leave all his friends and family. This blog really shows that there are some extremely weird
people in this world. I think that it kind of reflects on how messed up our society really is. Im sorry
but some things (peoples lives) are just not for sale.

m February 6, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Talking of book edition may be if you want to buy some new edition books at best price I have a suggestion to make do look up Online Shopping

hoojk December 2, 2007 at 10:49 pm
不動産投資 July 18, 2008 at 4:44 am

資金を増やそうとするのに不動産投資をするのが手っ取り早い。日本で不動産で東京 賃貸をさがすのはきわめて難しくシステム開発は日本の会社が良い。

aoc money December 31, 2008 at 1:21 am

Please come to aoc gold, we will give you a great surprise.

r4 ds games February 15, 2010 at 12:02 am

Doooooode!, I am so impressed. I have been surfing my whole life. I can not remember ever calling anyone “dude†;however, I have heard it used by those we call kooks.
Good blog, I am going one better and giving it a 9.

Term Life Insurance September 4, 2010 at 8:42 am

ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73884 also they are not weapons you will find .You get a special code inside the case or the manager gives a code that unlocks them. So the only way to get the special stuff is to have bought the special edition.

Life Insurance September 21, 2010 at 7:42 am

If you are thinking of putting on the so called real Australian accent for an audition I strongly discourage that as most directors just want to hear your normal Australian voice.

Brooklyn Bathroom Renovation November 4, 2010 at 5:11 am

One needs a break from regular life. We have to go for adventurous trip once in a year. Concept posted above seems interesting.