The Patriarchy at Work

by on April 18, 2007 at 7:06 am in Economics | Permalink

Many studies have shown that women are
under-represented in tenured ranks in the sciences. We evaluate
whether gender differences in the likelihood of obtaining a
tenure track job, promotion to tenure, and promotion to full
professor explain these facts using the 1973-2001 Survey of
Doctorate Recipients. We find that women are less likely to take
tenure track positions in science, but the gender gap is entirely
explained by fertility decisions. We find that in science
overall, there is no gender difference in promotion to tenure or
full professor after controlling for demographic, family,
employer and productivity covariates and that in many cases,
there is no gender difference in promotion to tenure or full
professor even without controlling for covariates. However,
family characteristics have different impacts on women’s and
men’s promotion probabilities. Single women do better at each
stage than single men, although this might be due to selection.
Children make it less likely that women in science will advance
up the academic job ladder beyond their early post-doctorate
years, while both marriage and children increase men’s likelihood
of advancing.

From "Does Science Promote Women? Evidence from Academia 1973-2001".

Addendum: Tyler linked to an earlier version of this paper but if I forgot then probably so did you so here it is again.

1 Women at Universities April 19, 2007 at 2:34 am

Dear Professors Ginther and Kahn,

Sorry to send this email to you anonymously.

The 1973-2001 Survey of Doctorate Recipients data is quite inaccurate (after the internet era). Every year, many Ph.D. students are persuaded over email to not share their real information in these surveys.

This is because several universities make it mandatory for us to fill in the surveys before they formally award us the Ph.D. We resent that. Very strongly. Doctoral students who have successfully defended their dissertations have missed their formal graduation dates just because they didn’t filled in their surveys. We don’t think that is fair. Some international students on visas have lost their jobs because they could not formally graduate on time and they have been forced to return to China or wherever they are originally from – all because that stupid survey wasn’t filled out.

Consequently, many doctoral students, including those who value their privacy, submit dummy information, not true information. There is an underground lobby of sorts that encourages you to fill out fake data. Just think about this – if you are told “no survey = no phd” or if you friend’s family is deported to China or if your arm was twisted to complete a survey and you strongly resent the arm twisting, what kind of information are you likely to provide in the survey?

2 John K April 19, 2007 at 8:54 am

Amen to that!

In my case, the blood-sucking began the moment I was told by a junior-levl anal-retentive graduate school administrator that the dissertation-quality papers I had printed my dissertation on was not good enough. If I didn’t want to miss the graduation date, I needed to submit three copies by 3:00 in the afternoon, which gave me exactly two hours. Then she scolded me for not submitting the Survey. I hated being asked about my nationality, race, citizenship and other personal matters on the Survey. Not only that, it was insisted that I use my “real ethnic name” on the Survey, which no one could ever pronounce, rather than the Americanized version of my Korean name, which is used in all my publications and day-to-day affairs. I came to the US when I was three years old and I could barely pronounce my ethnic name myself.

When surveys are being forced down your throat, you know what kind of data they can expect.

3 Romesh Chakraborti April 21, 2007 at 8:59 pm

When most of us misreport something, we have systematic biases included in our misreporting. When an American university turns me down for employment and later sends an Affirmative Action card to me, I fill in “African American” to make their Sociology Department look bad. In reality, I am British of East Indian descent. I learned last month that a friend of mine from New York does exactly the same.

4 謝文豪 April 2, 2008 at 2:48 am

大家好,我是臺灣人,從臺灣一個人搬家來到美國,環境很陌生,感覺很孤單。以前在臺灣幾家知名的徵信社工作過,我是一個優秀的徵信工作者,希望早點找到適合自己的工作。希望通過貴站,認識更多的朋友。

5 sanane January 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm
6 sdf April 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm

sdfWhen most of us misreport something, we have systematic biases included in our misreporting. When an American university turns me down for employment and later sends an Affirmative Action card to meed hardy
cheap ed hardy
ed hardy clothing
ed hardy kids
Ed Hardy Womens Tanks, I fill in “African American” to make their Sociology Department look bad. In reality, I am British of East Indian descent. I learned last month that a friend of mine from

7 iPhone battery replacement August 26, 2010 at 3:52 am

Patriarchy is a system in which males dominate females. Western history and culture and social institutions are built on the premise of power-over.

8 Term Life Insurance September 4, 2010 at 10:03 am

If you don’t have room to write it in the space provided you can tell them to see your resume (IF the application does not say otherwise) or you can attach a separate page with that information nicely typed up. What gets most people a job is their presentation, NOT their actual ability, when it comes to part time and temporary work.

9 Business Gifts September 8, 2010 at 10:25 am

I strongly suggest that you go to your local state employment center. Pick up applications there. Fill them out COMPLETELY. Also, attach a resume to each one, regardless of whether or not it asks you to. Never leave information out of an application.

10 anti aging for men September 20, 2010 at 7:14 am

You just don’t fit the profile. You have to be over 50, bald, beer-bellied and go about clearing mucus noisily from your sinus cavities. You are too young, too buff and healthy.

11 NP8850 January 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I like to do many thing bout a lot of things. But this is the first time I know that you can tuen this doll into luch box. Really good right? They will serve your kids in a good way and they will eat a lot.

12 Hip Hop Girl January 15, 2011 at 9:18 am

Intressting what happended there. In reality, I am British of East Indian descent. I learned last month that a friend of mine from New York does exactly the same. Hip Hop Girl