Harry Potter must die

by on June 4, 2007 at 2:22 pm in Books | Permalink

Bookies are certain Harry’s a goner. William Hill Plc, a London-based bookmaker, is so sure of Harry’s demise that it stopped accepting wagers and shifted betting to the possible killers.  Lord Voldemort, who murdered Potter’s parents, is the most likely villain, at 2-1 odds, followed by Professor Snape, one of his teachers, at 5-2.  "Every penny was on Harry dying, and it became untenable,” said Rupert Adams, a William Hill spokesman.  "People are obsessed about this book.”

Here is the full story.  The pointer is from John De Palma.

1 kvrettos June 4, 2007 at 4:00 pm

I guess also that the bets on who will kill Voldemort are going to show up also. I bet on Nevil Longbottom in being the one to kill him…as he will be the one to fulfil the Prophecy!!!!

2 asg June 4, 2007 at 5:43 pm

Bets like this are tricky in a fantasy universe. Does the bet pay if Harry dies and returns to life? If he dies but becomes a ghost like those who inhabit Hogwarts? If his body dies but his spirit is magically implanted in a new body? Etc.

3 Macneil June 4, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Harry Potter will be Voldemort. There’s enough similarity between Earthsea and Harry Potter in general. No reason Rowling wouldn’t copy the very ending too; where the great darkness is the one within.

Expect Harry to kill himself to rid the world of Voldemort (and then perhaps to be resurrected without powers).

4 DK June 5, 2007 at 10:30 am

I sortof agree with Macneil. Harry Potter isn’t voldemort, but Harry is the final horcrux and can’t kill Voldemort without killing himself.

I see 75% chance Harry kills himself to kill Voldemort, and 25% chance Harry turns Voldemort to the good side.

5 adrian June 5, 2007 at 1:01 pm
6 Murphy June 11, 2007 at 1:40 pm

So does the statistical idea that large groups of people “guessing” on a number work here? You know the one where people guess the number of marbles or jellybeans in a jar and the average of the guesses tends to be within 2% of the correct answer.

7 Chris Masse June 22, 2007 at 6:10 am

YES, Harry Potter will survive J.K. Rowling’s 7th installment of the saga, The Deathly Hallows.
http://www.midasoracle.org/2007/06/22/yes-harry-potter-will-survive-jk-rowling%e2%80%99s-7th-installment-of-the-saga-the-deathly-hallows/

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: