Why are gun owners so happy?

by on April 19, 2008 at 6:48 am in Data Source | Permalink

Arthur Brooks reports:

Who are all these gun owners? Are they the uneducated poor, left
behind? It turns out they have the same level of formal education as
nongun owners, on average. Furthermore, they earn 32% more per year
than nonowners. Americans with guns are neither a small nor downtrodden
group.

Nor are they "bitter." In 2006, 36% of gun owners said they were "very
happy," while 9% were "not too happy." Meanwhile, only 30% of people
without guns were very happy, and 16% were not too happy.

In 1996, gun owners spent about 15% less of their time than nonowners
feeling "outraged at something somebody had done." It’s easy enough in
certain precincts to caricature armed Americans as an angry and
miserable fringe group. But it just isn’t true. The data say that the
people in the approximately 40 million American households with guns
are generally happier than those people in households that don’t have
guns.

The gun-owning happiness gap exists on both sides of the political
aisle. Gun-owning Republicans are more likely than nonowning
Republicans to be very happy (46% to 37%). Democrats with guns are
slightly likelier than Democrats without guns to be very happy as well
(32% to 29%). Similarly, holding income constant, one still finds that
gun owners are happiest.

By the way, if you are curious, I have never even touched a gun.

Addendum: Arthur has a new (and very good) book out, Gross National Happiness.

1 Hei Lun Chan April 19, 2008 at 7:08 am

Happiness is a warm gun.

2 joan April 19, 2008 at 7:56 am

Could they just be measuring the difference in happiness between people who live in large metro areas and people who live in small towns and rural areas where life is less stressful and it cost less to live well.

3 tdp April 19, 2008 at 8:33 am

Bumper sticker that I first noticed on the pickup truck of a small businessman:
ANNOY A LIBERAL: Work hard. Be happy.

Maybe the problem isn’t that gun owners are happier than they should be but that others are more likely to be grumps.

4 LemmusLemmus April 19, 2008 at 9:26 am

the person that’s read your comment.

5 BGC April 19, 2008 at 9:59 am

Research suggests that reported happiness in surveys is mainly a result of personality, which is stable and substantially genetic.

So it is not a matter of guns or conservatism making you happy – rather the causal arrow goes from a certain innate temperament which includes being happier, to a resulting tendency to be conservative and own guns.

6 Keith April 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

I think when Obama said “cling to guns and religion” he meant that they vote based on cultural issues rather than in their own economic interests, so the variable of interest is not gun ownership but political attitudes.

I’d be surprised if this relationship held when controlling for some geographic variables. Also, it is less likely that conservatism makes you happier than it is that people are happier when their preferred party is in power. See:

Rafael Di Tella, Robert MacCulloch (2005) Partisan Social Happiness
Review of Economic Studies 72 (2)

7 Bruce April 19, 2008 at 11:37 am

I think people are missing one possible cause for this result: Selection bias. Unhappy, miserable gun owners are less likely to be around any more to respond to surveys asking how happy they are.

(I’m a gun owner, BTW).

8 dearieme April 19, 2008 at 11:54 am

I’m a former gun owner. I found that once a year I’d go to the range, shoot a few rounds, clean and oil the rifle, and then lock it up for another year. This seemed pointless so I sold it and let my licence expire. But now Britain is awash with unlicensed guns in the hands of criminals, while it is made ever more irksome to own a gun legally. So I reckon my decision was pretty foolish. But perhaps not; if ever it seems wiseto get a gun for self-defence, it would probably be wiser to get an illegal one.

9 shecky April 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm

One thing that’s turned me off gun owners, at least on the internet, is the overall feeling of emasculation, whinyness, deep bitterness, and propensity to fantasize about end of the world zombie scenarios. And on top of that, the usual noise associated with internet dialog. One popular forum even banned zombie talk, it was getting so thick.

Perhaps none of this negates the happiness factor. Or perhaps in the internet they’re a particularly grumpy group. I don’t know. I do know that I am a gun owner, I generally find myself happy with my life, and I can find little worthwhile discussion with other internet gun nuts.

10 Don Meaker April 19, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Banned Zombie Talk? What ever else would they talk about?

11 bill April 19, 2008 at 1:22 pm

In the movie The President’s Analyst, the title character realizes that the reason a CIA agent is so relaxed is that he can just release his stress by killing someone, and be perfectly legal while doing so. Perhaps this is the core of their happiness — grumpy? You have the ability to KILL something!

12 JorgXMcKie April 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm

“In general, whenever social research flies in the face of conventional wisdom, the research is usually wrong.”

Yes, and 72.381% of statistics are made up on the spot. Conventional wisdom is just about the dumbest ‘wisdom’ available. It comes from, and/or is repeated by, folks like Rosie (“Fire has never melted steel”) O’Donnell and her moronic ilk.

I can’t answer for research I haven’t seen, but at least getting actual numbers is a step in the right direction.

There are quite a few intervening variables I can conceive of on the happiness, but absent data to the contrary, most of the speculation above about what’s ‘wrong’ with the conclusions are just rampant moonglow.

And I find it easier to discuss zombies with gun owners than anything with anti-Second Amendment moonbats.

13 JorgXMcKie April 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm

14 Randy Rager April 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm

I too call BS on Mr. Shor.

I grew up in a rural area, 8 miles from the nearest town. The guns we owned weren’t for hunting, they were for varmint/pest/liberal control. Granted, the occasional game animal got taken with a rifle or shotgun, usually out of season and far from the game warden’s notice, but rural gun ownership is generally for pest control and self-defense.

When the nearest police station is a 20 minute drive away (dirt roads are slow), you don’t rely on the cops for protection from the local thieving hippies. You show the hippies the business end of a 12 gauge and extend to them an invitation to the rest of the world.

I also call BS on his wretched little attempt to tie mental illness with gun ownership. This is projection, pure and simple. Gun owners are some of the most mentally stable in society, as evidenced by the extremely low accident and murder rates to be found among CCW license holders.

15 Jacqueline April 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm

“I have never even touched a gun.”

Come visit me in Vegas and I will take you shooting. The local ranges even have machine guns you can try.

16 Billy Oblivion April 19, 2008 at 2:04 pm

“Good, Bad, I’m the guy with the gun”

17 Fred April 19, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Well, it’s pretty clear to this gun owner which comments are from non gun owners. This lezds to a conjecture: Non gun owners are unhappy because they live in an unhappy fantasy world.

18 David Shor April 19, 2008 at 2:34 pm

To Randy Rager and JS:

“gun ownership is mainly an indicator of paranoia and mistrust toward society(however well justified). ”

Sometimes paranoia can be justified. If you live in a crime-ridden neighborhood, then it is perfectly rational to own a gun. But, you are likely not as happy as your neighbor who does not harbor such rational fears. Naive people tend to be very happy.

To Jorg:

Conventional wisdom and stereotypes are usually correct. Think of it like a social version of the Efficient Market Hypothesis. Pointing out a couple of high-profile failures does not discredit CW, because the sheer amount of conventional wisdom out there dwarfs the failures on a percentage basis.

That does not mean that we should discredit research that goes against CW, it only means that we should look at it with skepticism.

Most of the time, researchers have an incentive to publish a paper with an eye-popping claim. Later research usually shows that the claim is wrong once other variables are accounted for.

Other times, it doesn’t. But that’s relatively rare.

19 Randy Rager April 19, 2008 at 2:45 pm

“I’ll respond to the rest of your critique later, but I’d invite you to re-read what I said:”

Translation: I think really slow on my feet, you caught me in not one but TWO deviations from observable reality, therefore you must have misunderstood what I wrote.

Pull the other one, knucklehead.

20 David Shor April 19, 2008 at 2:56 pm

To Dave S.:

“Say what? I have NEVER heard of city dwellers renting hunting rifles.”

Neither of us have any data here, but here in Miami it’s pretty common. The few people I know who hunt(Hunting isn’t very popular with Jews and Cubans), do so at hunting reserves. You know, the places where they release birds to shoot. Those places do rent out guns.

“Oh, please. You criticize this study because it contradicts “conventional wisdom”, then you pull this nonsense from your hindquarters.”

There is no “study”, just a WSJ columist with an axe to grind cherry-picking data from a database that is not publicly available. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary scrutiny.

I say this because I have a statistical background. It is very easy for confirmation bias to lead one to a faulty and eye-popping conclusion. After all, the point of social research is to find fault in conventional wisdom. But usually, after a sober analysis by other researchers, conventional wisdom comes out ahead.

“I’m an urban gun owner, and I’m far happier and less bitter than my left-wing co-workers, who complain about anything and everything, all of which is the fault of forces larger than themselves. Doesn’t get any more paranoid and bitter than that.”

Good for you, correlation is not destiny. But realistically, self-defense is the main reason to purchase a gun in an urban area, and people who perceive a need for self defense will be less happy then those who do not.

To package that in a way that is acceptable to you, “Naive people are happier than realistic ones”.

“BTW, it’s “conventional wisdom” that children are routinely kidnapped by strangers and that there was a child sex abuse epidemic at day-care centers in the ’80s.”

Conventional wisdom is sometimes wrong, but the sheer amount of conventional wisdom in our society ensures that it is overwhelmingly correct on a percentage basis.

Think of it like the stock market. The market is almost always right. We tend to remember the market’s failures(Great Depression, Sub-prime, etc.), but when you think about things on a percentage basis, we are looking at 5 or 6 events over the course of a century.

21 RJ April 19, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Renting a rifle? I grew up in a place that was deluged every year by city hunters, and I never heard of any gun shop doing that.

22 Chuck Pelto April 19, 2008 at 3:10 pm

TO: bill
RE: The President’s Analyst; (Reprised)

“Perhaps this is the core of their happiness — grumpy? You have the ability to KILL something!” — bill

What about the up-tight jerks from the FBR? They had the same ability to kill as the operatives of the CEA. But they were hardly what any reasonably prudent individual would call ‘happy’.

Then there’s the poor Russian sap from the KGB(?), who sent his own father to Siberia. Not to forget the repressive guards at The Phone Company.

Your analogy falls apart too readily, bill.

However, in your favor was the Quantrill family……

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Happiness is knowing you’re prepared for just about anything.]

23 RickM April 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Gun owners are happier because they have more control over their destiny. Pretty simple. I have never heard of a business that rents guns to hunters but even if I found one I would not use their weapons. I don’t know the weapon, the history of the weapon, or the owner. It would be crazy to assume a strange, loaded gun is either functional or safe. Gun ownership becomes a single issue for people that are concerned about their safety, the safety of their family and the control of the State. Check your history, confiscation and registration of weaponry is always a predecessor of totalitarianism.

24 Chuck Pelto April 19, 2008 at 3:28 pm

TO: RickM, et al.
RE: It’s Historical

“Gun ownership becomes a single issue for people that are concerned about their safety, the safety of their family and the control of the State. Check your history….” — RickM

And TODAY is Patriot’s Day! [Note: Only recognized in Massachusetts and Maine.] The day that a bunch of gun owners took their guns are rejected the government’s taking them away.

Date: April 19, 1775
Places: Lexington and Concord
Antagonists: Citizens of the Massachusetts colony and the British Royal Army
Results: Our Independence

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Those who refuse to learn from history are DOOMED….]

25 Kevin Baker April 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

By the way, if you are curious, I have never even touched a gun.

And there are many like you. And to all of you I offer this invitation (and there are many others in the gunblogosphere who offer it too):

If you have never shot a firearm, regardless of your position on the right to arms, and if you live near or visit the Tucson, AZ metropolitan area, I invite you to go shooting for a day.

I will provide the arms, ammunition, targets, safety equipment, range fees and instruction.

All you have to do is show up.

26 Kevin P. April 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm

David Shor:

I say this because I have a statistical background.

Do you actually own any guns? Do you actually know any urban gun owners? Have you talked to them and understood their reasons and motivations for owning guns? From your grand pronouncements, I suspect that your background does not include any of these.

I am an urban gun owner who lives in a safe neighborhood. My wife and I own and keep loaded guns for self-defense, just in case. We are happy and positive people and feel more confident that we will be able to live safely in our home, compared to our grumpy and unarmed lefty neighbor who is suspicious of everything and everybody.

I suggest that you educate yourself about real gun owners in the real world before making up any more stuff.

27 RickM April 19, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Why do the 7 rounds of 12 gauge, 00 buck infer an advance willingness to kill? I have the willingness to pull the trigger 8 times, I have a willingness to aim center mast for each pull of the trigger, and I have a willingness to prod the leftovers with my toe as I reload. I’m not intentionally trying to kill. I’m trying to discourage and stop. If the person on the other end of the muzzle is still willing, I’m willing to repeat the cycle until all of my ammunition is expended. Currently, that means I’ll reload about 35 times (but if anyone knows of any good deals on 12 ga. shotgun ammo in NoVA, I’m a fan of “there is no such thing as too much ammo”).

28 Tom West April 19, 2008 at 5:16 pm

So, in opposition to YOUR ‘argument’, I offer that going to a gun-fight with ONLY a knife is certainly irrational.

Not at all. If you do not believe that you will be able to deliberately kill another human being, even under provocation, then it makes sense to ban guns. If you are not going to be armed at all, better the other side have a knife than a gun. You are much more likely to survive the encounter. (Note: *likely*. There’s never any certainties where real-life is concerned.)

Note, people who hold this sort of view have probably never been personally exposed to any real violence. Happily for society (if perhaps unhappily for gun owners), that’s a higher and higher percentage of the population as we become a more and more peaceful society. (At least among the middle class, which is what counts for voting purposes.)

29 red April 19, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Rafael Di Tella, Robert MacCulloch (2005) Partisan Social Happiness
Review of Economic Studies 72 (2)

———————————————————

Yes, to the committed leftist there is nothing but political power. That is the alpha and omega of their world. Hmmm, would that really make you happy? I think not.

30 Al April 19, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Tyler: the link to “Gross National Happiness” is resolving to an article about the costs of fertilizer in Africa. Here’s the right one (amazon): http://tinyurl.com/4zuulp

31 Barkley Rosser April 19, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I don’t know about gun owners, but I have an answer for why conservatives are happier.
I read that Protestant fundamentalist women have more orgasms than other women, and we
know that “intimate relations” are a major key to happiness. Of course, they may be
of identification and endogeneity!

32 Anthony April 19, 2008 at 8:54 pm

So how come nobody has touched the income disparity? What possible causes are there for gun-owners to have higher income? I can advance two hypotheses:

1) Gun owners are generally more responsible people than non-owners, and this carries over into their work lives – being more responsible, they tend to be promoted, given raises, and save more than non-owners, and end up with higher income.

2) Gun control is only politically viable where there are lots of liberals near lots of blacks, and as a result, gun control has disarmed mostly the urban poor, but nobody else, skewing the income of gun-owners upwards.

33 MostlyAPragmatist April 19, 2008 at 9:24 pm

My God! Someone at the American Enterprise Institute has statistics that exactly and exclusively refute a Democratic frontrunner’s recent statements. And Tyler Cowen has reprinted them. I believe them completely. I really do! 😉

34 lutonmoore April 19, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Y’all keep talking about all these Zombies on the loose. Is that like that movie, “Dawn of the Dead Folks.” I need to clean my guns and load some extra clips.

35 Robinson April 20, 2008 at 12:01 am

Plenty of ranges let you try out guns. It’s a fun experience.

“BTW I’m a bit skittish around guns myself. I think it dates back to when I was in high school and we were at this kid’s house, and he started pointing his dad’s gun at us like in a low-budget after-school special.”

Sorry, but that kid sounds like an idiot. I don’t blame you.

36 Flash Gordon April 20, 2008 at 1:59 am

I wonder if little boys who play with toy guns are happier than little boys whose parents don’t allow them to have toy guns? I’d bet the boys with the toy guns are happier.

37 Kirk Parker April 20, 2008 at 4:14 am

Flash,

No, the boys w/o (store-bought) toy guns are happier–they have the additional sense of accomplishment that comes from having built their own.

38 urban April 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm

David- “But realistically, self-defense is the main reason to purchase a gun in an urban area, and people who perceive a need for self defense will be less happy then those who do not.”

if someone buys a gun because they percieve a need for self-defense that doesn’t make them paranoid. additionally, if the the gun alieviates a percieved threat in the mind of the gun owner then they are perfectly capable of being happier than the next guy after they buy it. that it may be nothing more than a placebo is immaterial.

it would be interesting to see brook’s data taken beyond urban/rural to actual population density. there are large cities (houston, dallas and san antonio are all top 10 in the u.s.) that are less dense than a new york or chicago. the later can do more to allay crime by a cop on every corner type policing. the former are sprawl cities where the police can’t do the same. so there likely lots of happy handgun owners in urban areas.

there are also dense areas in many smaller communities of 100K people or so.

having a gun can also alow you to laugh at media peddled fear by saying “they won’t be able to get away with that where my property line begins”.

the self-reliance yields more happiness and can come froom gun ownership argument is something that hopefully will be researched a little more. i’d bet it holds up against slew of attempts to discredit it.

39 RJ April 20, 2008 at 6:38 pm

all this talk about protecting oneself in the event of a carjacking or home invasion fails to consider how extremely rare these events generally are… which seems like the very definition of paranoia to me.

A kitchen fire is statistically unlikely. But I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

I reject your definition of paranoia.

40 Dave Richardson April 20, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I’m going out on a limb and hypothesize that one reason using a firearm to deter crime appears so “rare† is that it is much underreported.

My own experience bears this out; in the early 1980’s I used my concealed revolver to deter a mugging/car jacking/robbery/attempted murder in an underground parking garage in downtown Baltimore. Since I did not have a carry permit (extremely difficult to obtain in Maryland) I didn’t report the incident and I’m certain the young gentleman I faced down wasn’t talking either. Luckily a shot wasn’t fired and the only victim was my underwear.

41 notsneaky April 21, 2008 at 8:01 am

“Of course, they may be having those orgasms because they are happier. Uh oh, not another nasty econometric problem
of identification and endogeneity!”

Ugh. When I read that the thought “what kind of instruments could we use?” flashed through my mind – Pavlovian response after all those years of grad school. And then my mind replied and then I said “shut up mind!” and decided not to ponder that question anymore.

That was mean Barkley. Funny-mean.

42 Tom April 21, 2008 at 11:02 am

I think the problem with this statement is that this story CONFIRMS conventional wisdom. I think you really need an odd perspective to think otherwise.

43 Mr. Econotarian April 21, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Shooting a handgun and looking down into the blue glow of the core of the training nuclear reactor at the University of Maryland rank as my two most phobia-reducing events of my life.

BTW, there is a gun range near Fredericksburg where you can shoot submachineguns (full-auto weapons that fire handgun style ammunition, like the Uzi):

Definitely go with someone who has had the NRA safety course when you first shoot, or better yet do the course yourself:

For example:

“Fairfax – Saturday, June 21, 2008, Comfort Inn Hotel, $145
Chip Lohman, 703-371-4234. , support@safepistol.com
Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
Price includes optional student gun rental and ammunition, indoor range fee, film, laser practice, all class materials, professional classroom and refreshments. 1 to 1 coaching at the range. “

44 jake April 21, 2008 at 1:42 pm

There are two kinds of people in this world: those with guns, and those who dig. You dig.

45 Barkley Rosser April 21, 2008 at 4:30 pm

yns,

No, you are clearly the mean one. “Instrument” my foot, or maybe my shoe.

Heck, how do we not know that those orgasmic Protestant fundamentalist women
are not so because their husbands are more likely to be happy gun owners who
can get it up more than the obviously insufficiently masculine non-gun owners,
quite aside from your extra suggestions about “instruments”? Heck, the endogeneities
here are nearly endless…

46 Barkley Rosser April 21, 2008 at 10:56 pm

nys,

Endless possibilities, those endless possibilities… :-).

47 Chuck Pelto April 22, 2008 at 10:13 am

TO: vanya
RE: My!

“…”gun nut” – the kind of guy who brings a loaded handgun to band practice, likes to brag to everyone about his guns at the slightest excuse and is a die hard NRA member.” — vanya

Aren’t ‘we’ full of hate, today.

First off, it depends on the kind of band. Guns are not allowed on school grounds. That’s why that kid in South Carolina thought he could get away with mass murder. Schools, and other places, are nothing more than ‘shooting gallaries’ for those who do not follow the ‘rules’.

On the other hand, if it was a band practice off school grounds and the person had either a CCW permit or the state/home-rule-city allowed for open carry, what’s wrong? I’ll tell ya. NOTHING!

As for ‘bragging’ about guns. Who doesn’t brag about their hobby/interest?

On the third hand, what’s wrong with being an NRA member? You had something against Charlton Heston, perhaps?

RE: As for Happiness…

“I certainly knew people meeting the latter description growing up in NH, and they never seemed very happy to me, they seemed like desperately insecure people with serious issues.” — vanya

….I have reason to doubt your veracity on this. See my comment immediately above as to why. Indeed, I think you, as with M1EK (above) are ‘projecting’. As you obviously seem ‘unhappy’ to me.

Do YOU ‘own a gun’? You’d make good anecdotal evidence to the premise being discussed here.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Be Prepared. — Boy Scouts]

P.S. What are your thoughts on the Boy Scouts?

48 Barkley Rosser April 22, 2008 at 12:20 pm

By gosh by gun, we have the answer. If you are a gun owner you are happier than if you are not a gun owner,
unless you are nuts, in which case you are not happier than a non-gun owner. Wow, that was easy. No problem.

49 Noah Yetter April 22, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Tyler, if you’re ever in Denver drop me a line and we can round up some economists and have a day at the range.

Another thing gun owners are, is almost always eager to induct a new guy into the club!

50 Chuck Pelto April 23, 2008 at 11:45 am

TO: vanya
RE: A Serious Case of Denial

“I’m not projecting. People who make guns the centers of their lives, in my experience, are socially maladjusted weirdos, just like, to be fair, people who make collecting 1920s 78s the center of their lives or comic book collectors or most obsessives.” — vanya

The problem here, dearie, is that your earlier post was that you went overboard describing anyone who (1) brings a gun with him pretty much everywhere he goes, (2) likes to talk about his collection and (3) is a member of the NRA is some kinda ‘nut’.

On the one hand, as I pointed out in my earlier reply, anyone how has a CCW permit pretty much fits criteria number 1. Even though it’s perfectly legal.

On the other hand, I don’t know of many people who will not talk about a hobby if the opportunity presents itself. Again, something perfectly legal.

On the third hand, I do believe that the Bill of Rights, again, something perfectly legal, allows Freedom of Association.

Now. If you’re so set against doing things that are perfectly legal, and you certainly are by these lights, hold on to your panties…..

YOU’RE SOME KINDA ‘NUT’!

Hence my evaluation of you as ‘projecting’, vis-a-vis ‘gun nuts’.

Hope that helps. But I have my doubts.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Life is like a box of chocolates. It’s full of nuts.]

P.S. I think we’ve encountered one of them here…..

51 Chuck Pelto April 29, 2008 at 11:27 am

TO: All
RE: More Reasons

Two more driving shootings here over the weekend; within hours of each other. Similar to the one I reported (above) hearing about over the police radio while talking to an officer about another matter.

Regards,